Connection to remote SQL Server Database

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
andy_bri

Connection to remote SQL Server Database

Post by andy_bri » Mon 04 May 2020 23:32

I have a Windows desktop database application based on connection to local MS SQL Database (TUniConnection) and many forms using UniQuery.
I want to connect to remote SQL Server Database using UniDAC. The connection is encrypted, remote server has basic DDOS protection. And I have got some questions. Is it safe and recommended way to use UniDAC this way?
I thought about creating some kind of server application to connect it instead of direct connection to database service. But I could not find something like TUniServerConnection, which could replace direct connect to database. Is it possible to build a remote service, which can be connected like a remote database with remote driver?
In fact I do not know, if connection to middle tier service would be much more safe than connection to SQL database.
Could you recommend some solution? How to organize it?
I was thinking about SecureBridge, but it looks it has no sense for MS SQL Server: if I understand it well, all protection of Secure Bridge is already included in MS SQL Server.
What are your experience, recommendations, solutions?

Stellar
Devart Team

Re: Connection to remote SQL Server Database

Post by Stellar » Thu 14 May 2020 11:59

You don't have to implement any security mechanisms yourself - you can establish a direct connection since TUniConnection supports all security protocols.
Just make sure that the server enforces encryption of all traffic - by default, the server encrypts only authentication packets.

andy_bri

Post by andy_bri » Sat 16 May 2020 21:27

Thank you for response!

Stellar
Devart Team

Post by Stellar » Thu 21 May 2020 08:49

Glad to see that the issue was resolved.
Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions about our products.