MS SQL TLS 1.2 connection problem

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
risico

MS SQL TLS 1.2 connection problem

Post by risico » Wed 01 Apr 2020 12:32

So I am using app created in XE , updated install to 8.12 and still not able to connect to SQL Server. The admins did update their server to work with TLS 1.2, so my app that was working prior no longer connects. The server I connect to is hosted on AWS (not RDS MS SQL) I can connect to the database using SQL Server management studio fine from the same machine, but my apps do not connect. I also tried a simple XE3 app on different machine with windows 10 updates to 1903 and it cant connect either.

I set the correct parameters in registry for TLS 1.2 as found online. My web browsers are using TLS 1.2.

Are there any settings to force connection in the settings? I really need to get my app working. I will be renewing to get access to 8.13 in case that is what I need to get it working. Any ideas? Do I need to install a native MS SQL Client library?

I will keep searching here and online

Cheers and be safe!

tonymeadors

Re: MS SQL TLS 1.2 connection problem

Post by tonymeadors » Wed 01 Apr 2020 14:43

All I can add is that we have been struggling for 2 months
to get UNIDAC applications to connect to TLS-only SQL Servers.
Clients are getting cranky.

What sort of errors do you get on your attempts?

Have you determined that the OS is a player in this?
It is been my understanding that going with prDirect means no
OLE driver nor any local DB client is used - only a direct TCP/iP
connection to the DB is used. But perhaps I have the wrong
conception somewhere.

tonyM

risico

Post by risico » Wed 01 Apr 2020 15:54

Wow, my apps are internal, by my vendor gives me access via a VPN connection.

The error I am getting "Connection has been gracefully closed by server"

All I get is an IP address login and pw and prior to them going TLS I used a Unidac app to run daily ETL jobs and have been down since this past weekend. (I missed the update their QA server two week ago as I have been deeling with Covid19 issues)...

My vendors dba confirmed they only accept TCP connections on 1433 via TLS 1.2 only. I am looking for an alternate method until I can get Unidac sub renewed today to at least get 8.13 and see if its any better....

risico

Post by risico » Thu 02 Apr 2020 05:21

Okay, I updated to Unidac 8.13 from 8.12
already had connection provider to prDirect (that was only change I made in my component)

And I am able to connect. Not sure if edit reg entries to enable TLS 1.2 helped but I am back up and running after updating from 8.12 to 8.13

Good luck!

Stellar
Devart Team

Post by Stellar » Mon 06 Apr 2020 14:22

Glad to see that the issue was resolved.
The issue with a TLS 1.2 handshake on connection attempt to the server was fixed in UniDAC 8.1.3.