Firebird - QueryRecCount with GROUP BY

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding UniDAC (Universal Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
sasa.pikija

Firebird - QueryRecCount with GROUP BY

Post by sasa.pikija » Fri 01 Feb 2019 15:12

Hi.
I'm using Unidac ver 7.4.11 26-Nov-18, on Delphi 10.2 Update 3 and Firebird 2.5 database.

Problem is in simple query which returns error when QueryRecCount property is True.
SQL query

Code: Select all

Select Group, Item, SUM(Amount) AS Amount FROM TestTbl GROUP BY 1,2;
Error is: SQL error code = -104 Invalid column position used in the GROUP BY clause

I watched SQL execution in SQL monitor and SQL that you do for QueryRecCount is:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ( SELECT 1 AS C FROM TestTbl GROUP BY 1,2 ) 
So you replaced Group, Item, SUM(Amount) AS Amount with 1 but you leave GROUP BY 1,2 statement. Maybe you should have to replace entire GROUP BY with 1 or remove GROUP BY entirely.

When I write SQL like:

Select Group, Item, SUM(Amount) AS Amount FROM TestTbl GROUP BY Group, Item;
then everything is OK because you create QueryRecCount SQL like:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ( SELECT 1 AS C FROM TestTbl GROUP BY Group,Item) 
That is error free but not happiest solution because you are doing GROUP BY on columns that are not in SELECT.

I tried same query in PostgreSQL and it works without any errors because in PostgreSQL you make SQL like:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ( SELECT Group, Item, SUM(Amount) AS Amount FROM TestTbl GROUP BY 1,2 ) 
That SQL works in Firebird 2.5 also.

Example that I posted is simplified, in real life, i really need to use column position instead of column names.

Can you fix QueryRecCount in Firebird with GROUP BY clause or give me some other solution which leave column position in group by clause.

Thanks.

ViktorV
Devart Team

Re: Firebird - QueryRecCount with GROUP BY

Post by ViktorV » Mon 04 Feb 2019 09:32

Thanks for the information. We reproduced the issue and it will be fixed in the next build.