How to detect if I am connected to my DB by SSH or not?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding network security and data protection solution - SecureBridge
docH

How to detect if I am connected to my DB by SSH or not?

Post by docH » Mon 11 Jan 2021 16:05

I use the following to connect to a remote MySQL database via SSH

TMyConnection ---> TMySSHIOhandler ---> TScSSHclient ----> TScFileStorage

This seems to work as Wireshark shows encrypted packets.

Sometimes I don't want to use SSH so I delete the connection between TMyConnection and TMySSHIOhandler (this seems to work to stop a SSH connection,, even if its not the correct way to do it)

I have a number of questions

1)
My Delphi application logs all the user connections to the database in a table in the database.

Is there some property or method in any of the above components that will tell me if I am connected via SSH or not so I can log that fact as well? (this is very important as I need to use this in another area to do with IP address manipulation)

2) Is there a better way to 'turn on' and 'turn off' at runtime whether the connection uses SSH or not so I can decide whether or not to use it at runtime?

3)
I think I notice that if TScSSHclient,connected = false at design time and I then run the application, set TScSSHclient,connected := truem connect and then shut down the application, then at design time TScSSHclient,connected remains showing connected = true even though I last left it as false in design the last time. Am I just getting muddled here or is it really happening. If so why?

ViktorV
Devart Team

Re: How to detect if I am connected to my DB by SSH or not?

Post by ViktorV » Fri 15 Jan 2021 16:38

When the TMyConnection.IOHandler property is set to TMySSHIOHandler, work with the server will always be carried out via the SSH protocol.
If you want to connect using a non-secure protocol, then you should set this property to nil. For example:

Code: Select all

MyConnection.IOHandler: = nil;
The value of the TScSSHclient.Connected component property does not depend in any way on actions in runtime.