SSH Tunnel and Embarcadero FireDAC

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding network security and data protection solution - SecureBridge
coolsmurf

SSH Tunnel and Embarcadero FireDAC

Post by coolsmurf » Thu 03 Apr 2014 16:47

Hello,

I have been using SecureBridge for two years and it works great. My company uses Embarcadero FireDAC to connect to a distant database. Currently, we use a direct connection on the database port (3306 for MySQL or 5432 for Postgres).

Is it possible to use SecureBridge to create a SSH tunnel through which we could establish and protect the database connection with FireDAC ?

I know this seems possible with Devart's data-access components, but I would like to use SecureBridge with Embarcadero's FireDAC.

Thank you for your help,

F.

Dimon
Devart Team

Re: SSH Tunnel and Embarcadero FireDAC

Post by Dimon » Fri 04 Apr 2014 14:53

Yes, you can use FireDAC to access a MySQL or a PostgreSQL server via SecureBridge.
To use FireDAC with SecureBridge you should perform the following steps:
1. Install SSH server on the computer which runs SQL server, setup it to listen a port allowed for remote connections, and run the SSH server. You can find an SSH server implementation within SecureBridge demos.
2. Add TScSSHChannel and TScSSHClient components to your client application to make an SSH client, and setup port forwarding from a local port to your SQL server through the port listened by the SSH server. For example, see the SSHClient demo of SecureBridge.
3. Setup your TFDConnection to connect to the localhost on the port that you used for port forwarding.

Stefano Monterisi

Post by Stefano Monterisi » Wed 13 Dec 2017 15:15

Hi,
I can use Firedac and SecureBridge also for Firebird or other db engines?
Thanks,
Stefano

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Thu 14 Dec 2017 09:58

If you work with DBMS over a TCP protocol, then you can use SecureBridge to organize SSH port forwarding.