Unable to connect

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for InterBase & Firebird in Delphi and C++Builder
RedOctober2013

Unable to connect

Post by RedOctober2013 » Fri 14 Mar 2014 17:42

Platform: Delphi XE3 on Windows 2008 Server

Component: TSQLConnection, driver = Interbase

Error:

---------------------------
Debugger Exception Notification
Project my_app.exe raised exception class TDBXError with message 'DBX Error:
Driver could not be properly initialized. Client library may be missing,
not installed properly, of the wrong version, or the driver may be missing
from the system path.'.
Break Continue Help

Here are the contents of the exe's folder:

2013-Jan-22 05:55 PM 292,728 dbxint.dll
2013-Mar-19 11:02 AM 552,960 fbclient.dll
2014-Mar-14 10:58 AM 28,144,343 my_app.exe
2014-Mar-14 10:25 AM 614 my_app.ini

Note: fbclient.dll is definitely the 32b, correct version for my FB. I am using to for all my other applications (not using dbExpress in those) to connect to FB, and it works.

Here are my parameters :
(I changed only the values I need to, all other values were left at the default setting)

DriverUnit=Data.DBXInterBase
DriverPackageLoader=TDBXDynalinkDriverLoader,DbxCommonDriver170.bpl
DriverAssemblyLoader=Borland.Data.TDBXDynalinkDriverLoader,Borland.Data.DbxCommonDriver,Version=17.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=91d62ebb5b0d1b1b
MetaDataPackageLoader=TDBXInterbaseMetaDataCommandFactory,DbxInterBaseDriver170.bpl
MetaDataAssemblyLoader=Borland.Data.TDBXInterbaseMetaDataCommandFactory,Borland.Data.DbxInterBaseDriver,Version=17.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,PublicKeyToken=91d62ebb5b0d1b1b
GetDriverFunc=getSQLDriverINTERBASE
LibraryName=dbxint.dll
LibraryNameOsx=libsqlib.dylib
VendorLib=fbclient.dll
VendorLibWin64=ibclient64.dll
VendorLibOsx=libgds.dylib
Database=127.0.0.1/3050:D:\firebird\db\baa.fdb
User_Name=SYSDBA
Password=masterkey
Role=SYSDBA
MaxBlobSize=-1
LocaleCode=0000
IsolationLevel=ReadCommitted
SQLDialect=3
CommitRetain=False
WaitOnLocks=True
TrimChar=False
BlobSize=-1
ErrorResourceFile=
RoleName=SYSDBA
ServerCharSet=
Trim Char=False

This happens at both designtime and runtime.

What am I doing wrong? I have been unable to connect using dbExpress even once. I was using TIBCConnection, with this same fbclient.dll successfully, but I *must* use dbExpress now to test something.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

respektive

Re: Unable to connect

Post by respektive » Wed 19 Mar 2014 23:55

Hi,
did you try install firebird client?? We got sometimes this error (not with devart dbexpress), and when we installed client it started to work (standard firebird installation - client only)

Try it.

Tom

ZEuS
Devart Team

Post by ZEuS » Fri 21 Mar 2014 10:48

From settings which you provided, it is clear that you are using default dbExpress driver for InterBase, not Devart dbExpress driver for InterBase & Firebird. We have tested our driver in Delphi XE3 on Windows 2008 Server and have not found any errors with connection. You can find more information about dbExpress driver for InterBase & Firebird at our web-site here: http://www.devart.com/dbx/interbase/ .

RedOctober2013

Post by RedOctober2013 » Fri 21 Mar 2014 16:12

Hi ZEus,

Doing a bit of research I discovered that I have already purchased the Devart dbExpress driver you are referring to, last January. I'm an existing customer, and it's installed on my dev PC. So my problem is the settings.

In the Settings I posted, there are 11 places where the word "Driver" is used. Can you post in your reply the exact settings that I should use, to allow my TSQLConnection to connect to Firebird? Once I copy the correct settings, then it will be an easier task for me to find the actual driver files and put them in the correct locations.

Right now, I'm struggling with all the different possible component settings as well as all the different on-disk file versions.

Thanks.

ZEuS
Devart Team

Post by ZEuS » Wed 26 Mar 2014 06:34

Here is the default section from dbxdrivers.ini for dbExpress driver for InterBase & Firebird:

Code: Select all

[DevartInterBase]
ProductName=DevartInterBase
DriverUnit=DbxDevartInterBase
DriverPackageLoader=TDBXDynalinkDriverLoader,DBXCommonDriver170.bpl
MetaDataPackageLoader=TDBXDevartInterBaseMetaDataCommandFactory,DbxDevartInterBaseDriver170.bpl
GetDriverFunc=getSQLDriverInterBase
LibraryName=dbexpida40.dll
VendorLib=gds32.dll
DataBase=DataBase Name
User_Name=user
Password=password
BlobSize=-1
ErrorResourceFile=
LocaleCode=0000
DevartInterBase TransIsolation=ReadCommitted
And from dbxconnections.ini:

[Devart InterBase]
DriverName=DevartInterBase
DataBase=DataBase Name
RoleName=
User_Name=user
Password=password
SQLDialect=3
BlobSize=-1
ErrorResourceFile=
LocaleCode=0000
DevartInterBase TransIsolation=ReadCommitted
WaitOnLocks=True
Charset=
CharLength=1
EnableBCD=True
OptimizedNumerics=True
LongStrings=True
UseQuoteChar=False
UseUnicode=True
FetchAll=False
DeferredBlobRead=False
DeferredArrayRead=False
Usually, these sections are created automatically when the driver is installed. You can find more information about driver options in the Readme.html file that is supplied with dbExpress driver for InterBase & Firebird.

In order to use the driver you have to set the following properties of the TSQLConnection component:

SQLConnection1.DriverName := 'DevartInterBase';
SQLConnection1.ConnectionName := 'Devart InterBase';

In order to learn on-disk file structure versions you have to refer to the Firebird documentation.

RedOctober2013

Post by RedOctober2013 » Sun 13 Apr 2014 20:24

Thank you ZEus. I think the problem is that I purchased the product but have not yet installed it, due to fear of messing something up on my system. That is why I don't have the setting option "Devart" available. I'm leaving it uninstalled for the moment, because I'm using your other product "IBC" successfully. With the information you have provided, I should be able to proceed in the future if I install the dbx product.

ZEuS
Devart Team

Post by ZEuS » Mon 14 Apr 2014 04:22

We thank you for your interest in our products.
Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions about dbExpress driver for InterBase & Firebird.