Interbase and Firebird package contents

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for InterBase & Firebird in Delphi and C++Builder
PatrickNY

Interbase and Firebird package contents

Post by PatrickNY » Sat 01 Dec 2012 13:41

I'm interested in your Interbase and Firebird package, but have a question.
I'm running Delphi XE Pro, which already contains the DBX Interbase driver. I'm trying to add a Firebird capability. Does the package contain both IB and FB combined in a single black box or will I be able to install Only the Firebird driver, which is all I am trying to do? Or, will I have to replace the IB driver I already have installed and working? If I have to install both IB and FB, would I then have 2 IB drivers installed?

Are the file names the same as I would have from Embarcadero? Are these newer versions that will work with XE? Will they work if I upgrade to XE2 or XE3?

AndreyZ

Re: Interbase and Firebird package contents

Post by AndreyZ » Mon 03 Dec 2012 11:50

Hello,

Our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird supports both InterBase and Firebird. Please note that our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird is not the standard driver supplied with RAD Studio's. So, you do not need to remove or replace any drivers you are already using. When you install our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird, you will have two dbExpress driver for InterBase, standard and ours. You will be able to use both of them.
All files that are supplied with our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird are not the same as you have from Embarcadero. This is because our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird is not the standard driver supplied with RAD Studio's.
Our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird supports RAD Studio XE since version 2.70.26, RAD Studio XE2 since version 3.0.1, RAD Studio XE3 since version 4.0.1. Using the latest version 4.0.1 of dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird, you can work in any RAD Studio.

PatrickNY

Post by PatrickNY » Mon 03 Dec 2012 13:38

Is the standard Rad Studio dbexpress driver derived from your product?

If I install your product, will the drivers for Firebird and Interbase be added to dbxdrivers.ini? Will I be able to distribute the application as an EXE without distributing a DLL?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Mon 03 Dec 2012 14:56

Is the standard Rad Studio dbexpress driver derived from your product?
No.
If I install your product, will the drivers for Firebird and Interbase be added to dbxdrivers.ini?
Standard Edition of our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird does it. Using Standard Edition with Source Code of our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird, you will have to do it manually (it is described in the ReadMeSrc.txt file that is supplied with Standard Edition with Source Code).
Will I be able to distribute the application as an EXE without distributing a DLL?
Using Standard Edition of our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird, no. Using Standard Edition with Source Code of our dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird, you can built it into your applications, so you will not need to distribute the driver's DLL with your applications. The steps that are needed to perform for this are described in the ReadMeSrc.txt file that is supplied with Standard Edition with Source Code.

PatrickNY

Post by PatrickNY » Thu 06 Dec 2012 19:47

One more question please. Would I be allowed to distribute your DDL with my application if the DDL is required?

Maybe two questions :>) The product includes an "annual subscription". Is this a requirement for me to renew the subscription in year 2? If not, it is a 1-year subscription, not an annual subscription.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Fri 07 Dec 2012 09:07

Yes, you can distribute the library (DLL) of the dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird with your applications.

The Subscription Program is an annual maintenance and support service for users of any Devart products. Users with a valid subscription get the following benefits:
- access to new versions of the product when they are released;
- access to all dbExpress driver for InterBase and Firebird updates and bug fixes;
- product support through the Priority Support program;
- notification of new product versions.
Priority Support is an advanced product support program which offers you expedited individual assistance with product-related questions from the developers themselves. Priority Support is carried out over email and has a two business day response policy.
It means that when you buy any Devart product, you get all the benefits listed above. After a year, when the subscription is expired, you can continue using the product, but you will not be able to access new versions of the product, new updates, and bug fixes. If you want to have access to them, you will need to renew your subscription. If you do not want it, you may not renew your subscription, it is only up to you to decide.

PatrickNY

Post by PatrickNY » Fri 07 Dec 2012 13:31

" If you do not want it, you may not renew your subscription, it is only up to you to decide."

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. Your web page indicates the purchase is for the product and an annual subscription. Now I understand it is for the product which includes 1 year of support.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Fri 07 Dec 2012 13:51

If any other questions come up, please contact us.