Backup (Restore) 1 table.

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding IBDAC (InterBase Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
kgn

Backup (Restore) 1 table.

Post by kgn » Wed 15 Apr 2020 01:04

The new Backup/Restore function where you can exclude tables to backup/restore is very useful and I am using it just fine.

During normal operation (like when I want to process a daily run or something), I really only want to backup only the tables affected by my processing. ie perhaps 2 or 3 tables.

I suppose I can get a list of tables from the DB, then make up a list of tables to exclude everything except the tables I want to backup, but this seems very cumbersome. My DBs have hundreds of tables, so I suspect this list will hit some sort of commandline or string length limit somewhere.

I am currently using the DADump function in UniDac to dump the tables involved to an INSERT script, and this seems to be ok. I am not sure how the Restore side of this will work with autoinc identity fields. Probably other issues as well for our support guys (more complex, etc).

I can also do a full backup using IBC and this works fine. Takes ages, of course as our DBs are quite large (up around 10 gigs or more).

Is there a 'trick' to backing up one or two tables? Is it possible?

oleg0k
Devart Team

Re: Backup (Restore) 1 table.

Post by oleg0k » Thu 16 Apr 2020 14:46

Hello,
The functionality of backup/restore operations is very limited in TUniDump(for example, it lacks support for BLOB fields).
This functionality cannot be extended since full backup and restore of Firebird (InterBase) can only be done with special tools of the database system itself.
Therefore, we suggest you to try IBDAC components TIBCBackupService and TIBCRestoreService, which allow you to fully backup or restore FireBird/InterBase database objects.
Currently the backup of specific tables is not supported, but you can skip specific tables using the option boSkipData and the property SkipDataTables in the service TIBCBackupService (Firebird 3 only).

wbr, Oleg
Devart team