Can Backup skip some tables?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding IBDAC (InterBase Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
kneighbour

Can Backup skip some tables?

Post by kneighbour » Fri 21 Sep 2018 06:17

I note that the new GBAK program now has the SKIP_DATA ie something like

gbak -skip_d '(sales|customer)' employee e1.fbk

Does the IBCBackupService now have this capability? Or is there some way I can implement this behaviour? There are some transaction tables that we have that are huge and we simply do not need to back them up sometimes.

ViktorV
Devart Team

Re: Can Backup skip some tables?

Post by ViktorV » Fri 21 Sep 2018 12:21

Currently, IBDAC does not support the use of the SKIP_DATA parameter when executing backup/restore procedures. We will add this support to the next release of IBDAC.

kneighbour

Post by kneighbour » Sun 23 Sep 2018 23:14

thank you - will be looking for it eagerly!

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Wed 26 Sep 2018 14:08

We have added support for SKIP_DATA parameter when executing backup/restore procedures. This fix will be included in next IBDAC build.
Currently, IBDAC does not support the use of the SKIP_DATA parameter when executing backup/restore procedures. We will add this support to the next release of IBDAC.
We can send you a IBDAC night build including the support. Please provide your license number and IDE version to us using the contact form https://devart.com/company/contactform.html and we will send you a night build.

kneighbour

Post by kneighbour » Tue 27 Nov 2018 02:39

Thank you for including this new function. I have seen the new option "SkipDataTables" but you don't seem to have updated the online documentation.

I have attempted to set this option to the name of a table (ie SkipDataTables='nameoftable'). This does not seem to work. Is there something else I need to do? What if I need to omit a number of tables?

Edit : I see that you also have to set the Option (boSkipData), so it seems that you can omit the data from a single table ok. How can I skip multiple tables? I have tried separating the names in various ways...ie
table1 table2
table1,table2
table1|table2
table1;table2

none of these seem to work...

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Tue 27 Nov 2018 12:15

To solve your task, you can use the following code:

Code: Select all

IBCRestoreService.Options := IBCRestoreService.Options + [roSkipData]; //enable the ability to use skip_data
  IBCRestoreService.SkipDataTables := 'dept|emp|name'; // list tables using |. For one table, just specify its name.
If this does not help in solving the issue, please compose a small sample demonstrating the issue including the script for creating and filling in the database objects and send it to us via form e-support: https://devart.com/company/contactform.html Also, specify the exact version of Firebird.

kneighbour

Post by kneighbour » Wed 28 Nov 2018 00:23

thanks for that. I had tried the | as a separator and it was not working. But it worked ok today, so dunno what that is all about.

Thanks for this new feature.

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Wed 28 Nov 2018 09:58

It is good to see that the problem has been solved.
Feel free to contact us if you have any further questions about our products.