Encryption in a dataset

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding IBDAC (InterBase Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
MacGabPL

Encryption in a dataset

Post by MacGabPL » Tue 31 Oct 2017 09:44

Hello,

I am looking for making encryption (table level) in Firebird 3.x database. I found this topic in IBDAC components documentation:
TCustomIBCDataSet.Encryption Property
, but description is very laconic -

Class
TCustomIBCDataSet

Syntax
property Encryption: TIBCEncryption;

Remarks
Set the Encryption options for using encryption in a dataset.
I wasn't able to find neither examples of how to use encryption in dataset nor more detailed description.

I am wondering if it is automatic feature (implemented in IBDAC components) and ready to use "out of the box" and transparent for Firebird database and Delphi application?

Regards

ViktorV
Devart Team

Re: Encryption in a dataset

Post by ViktorV » Tue 31 Oct 2017 14:14

See more details about data encryption in the IBDAC documentation: http://www.devart.com/ibdac/docs/encryption.htm
Note, this encryption is implemented at the "Columns" level and will be transparent only for Delphi applications with IBDAC components. This component is available only in Professional and Trial Editions.

MacGabPL

Post by MacGabPL » Thu 02 Nov 2017 07:53

Hello,

thanks for your answer Victor - this is a feature for which I was looking for long time (with Firebird database). I read information from the link you attached, and it should solve my needs related to data encryption.

Best regards,
Maciej

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Fri 03 Nov 2017 12:20

Thank you for the interest in our products.
Please contact us if you have any questions about our products.

MacGabPL

Post by MacGabPL » Fri 03 Nov 2017 13:15

Hello,

today I had tested data encryption with Firebird 3.0 database and application in Delphi 2007 (using IBDAC components). In my sample application i used TIBCQuery component together with TIBCEncryptor component (I choosed "Blowfish" algoirithm with SHA1 hashing function and DataTypeMap property of TIBCQuery).
Data encryption with Firebird 3 DB and Delphi application works very well (this is very helpful that storing encryption key is serviced automatically by TIBCEncryptor). So IBDAC components solved quite serious issue: "encrypting data in HR and Payrool system" in easy way :)

Regards,
Maciej

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Fri 03 Nov 2017 15:53

Thank you for being interested in our products and for your feedback about our work.
If you have any questions while using our products, please don't hesitate to contact us - and we will try to help you resolve them.