TIBCConnection.DatabaseInfo faulty results with Unicode

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding IBDAC (InterBase Data Access Components) for Delphi, C++Builder, Lazarus (and FPC)
upscene

Post by upscene » Fri 19 Mar 2010 09:21

upscene wrote:
Challenger wrote:I have filled table with 1 mln records and created a select statement with cross join. I have executed and fetched this statement and checked the DatabaseInfo.Reads parameter. It gave 130000. The same value I saw in IBConsole. I had the same value in Delphi 7 and Delphi 2009 regardless the Unicode option.
Here is the information from the Info page of the TIBCConnection editor:

Code: Select all

Server Version: WI-V9.0.3.437
Client Version: 9.0
ODS Version: 13.1
Client Library: D:\Program Files\InterBase\bin\gds32.dll
Database SQL Dialect: 3
Can try the same test with IBX components? You can check the length of this parameter in the TIBDatabaseInfo.GetLongDatabaseInfo method (the IBDatabaseInfo unit).
Any news?
Anyone there?

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Tue 23 Mar 2010 08:51

I still can not reproduce the problem. Did you try the same test with IBX components?

upscene

Post by upscene » Tue 23 Mar 2010 09:24

Dimon wrote:I still can not reproduce the problem. Did you try the same test with IBX components?
Here's a screenshot of a test project, the above part has IBX (v12.12) components, the memo simply holds the output of IBDatabaseInfo.ReadIdxCount (before and after the Query.Open & FetchAll calls). Database has WIN1251 charset, in IBDac, UseUnicode is OFF, all other options (except "FetchAll") are default, using Firebird 2.1.1

The bottom part has IBDac (v3.10.0.12) components, as you can see, the values of the tables are very different -> 2 byte values (they are even wrapped over the 2 byte boundary!!)

For example, take the values of table 160:
IBX: 138859 ($21E6B)
IBDac: 7787 ($1E6B)

Here's the code:

Code: Select all

procedure TForm20.Button1Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  IBDatabase1.Open;
  Memo1.Lines.AddStrings(IBDatabaseInfo1.ReadIdxCount);
  IBQuery1.Open;
  IBQuery1.FetchAll;
  Memo1.Lines.AddStrings(IBDatabaseInfo1.ReadIdxCount);
end;

procedure TForm20.Button2Click(Sender: TObject);
begin
  IBCConnection1.Open;
  Memo2.Lines.AddStrings(IBCConnection1.DatabaseInfo.ReadIdxCount);
  IBCQuery1.Open;
  Memo2.Lines.AddStrings(IBCConnection1.DatabaseInfo.ReadIdxCount);
end;
Given that in my code, I'm only handling strings, I fail to see how you could not reproduce this one.

Please respond as soon as possible, I don't want to wait another week between answers...

calou

Post by calou » Tue 23 Mar 2010 10:34

Hello,
Please respond as soon as possible, I don't want to wait another week between answers...
I agree with you upscene. The delay between questions and answers is too long. When we are blocked in our code waiting tow business days is too much.

I use other vcl components and generally the delay for an answer is several hours.

I have to buy other VCL components for Database and i am not sure to buy them with Devart. I think they have good components but the problem above is important.

Regards

Challenger
Devart Team

Post by Challenger » Tue 23 Mar 2010 12:34

The notification from our forum were missed so I missed your reply. Sorry. I have eventually reproduced and fixed this problem. This problem concerns parameters that return TStringList as result. It seems that we were talking about different parameters. So please try to compose a small sample next time. This may reduce time.

upscene

Post by upscene » Tue 23 Mar 2010 13:53

Challenger wrote: This problem concerns parameters that return TStringList as result. It seems that we were talking about different parameters.
upscene wrote:
Dimon wrote:We still can not reproduce the problem. Please specify the IBDAC version you are using and property that returns a wrong result.
Using the latest IBDac, the properties on Indexed Reads and so on don't return the correct values -> I compared these with IBObjects. Also, given the number of rows in the tables, these values were simply too small.
And later on, I gave you a complete table with values... Where else do these values come from? ;) As for a test project, I told you I couldn't forward you this customer database...

Good to hear you finally fixed this problem, when can we except an update?

upscene

Post by upscene » Wed 24 Mar 2010 08:35

Challenger wrote:The notification from our forum were missed so I missed your reply. Sorry. I have eventually reproduced and fixed this problem. This problem concerns parameters that return TStringList as result. It seems that we were talking about different parameters. So please try to compose a small sample next time. This may reduce time.
FYI, Firebird 2.5 uses INT64 for statistics, see the Release Notes, chapter "Changes to the Firebird Engine". I'm not sure if this only works with fbclient.dll from Firebird 2.5 or that an older client can be mixed with server 2.5, it says:
Statistics Now Work Properly with 64-bit Values
V. Khorsun
A. Peshkov
Tracker reference CORE-2619

Changes in the Firebird Engine

Memory and other statistics did not work properly 64-bit values in older Firebird versions. The issue had two
parts:
a. To make the engine use 64-bit integers for statistics, the internals of AtomicCounter were changed.
b. The isql and qli tools had to be taught to work with 64-bit values.

Incompatibility with Older Clients
To enable the 32-bit tools to work correctly with a 64-bit server, it was necessary to introduce some new internal
API functions (struct perf64 and perf64_xxx) and change isql and qli to use them. This means that the isql
and qli programs in V.2.5 are not compatible with older Firebird clients.

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Thu 25 Mar 2010 14:52

Thank you for the information. We are planning to release the new build of IBDAC in two weeks.

upscene

Post by upscene » Fri 26 Mar 2010 06:57

Dimon wrote:Thank you for the information. We are planning to release the new build of IBDAC in two weeks.
Would it be possible to get a build that's compatible with the current version (and ODAC/MyDAC) with this fix?

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Mon 29 Mar 2010 13:30

Please contact us by dmitryg*devart*com email and specify your developer license numbers for all DAC products and the version of Delphi.

upscene

Post by upscene » Fri 09 Apr 2010 13:21

Dimon wrote:Please contact us by dmitryg*devart*com email and specify your developer license numbers for all DAC products and the version of Delphi.
I did that (March 29), never actually got anything... but given your "two weeks", I might as well wait for the normal release.

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Tue 13 Apr 2010 12:58

We are sorry for the delay. New build of IBDAC version 3.10.0.13 is available for download now.

upscene

Post by upscene » Tue 13 Apr 2010 13:02

Dimon wrote:We are sorry for the delay. New build of IBDAC version 3.10.0.13 is available for download now.
I have found it, downloaded and installed it and I can confirm the bug is gone :D

Thanks.

Dimon
Devart Team

Post by Dimon » Tue 13 Apr 2010 13:14

I am happy that this problem has been solved.