Dev Tools causes problem with VStudio 2005

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
chrisdouglass

Dev Tools causes problem with VStudio 2005

Post by chrisdouglass » Tue 26 Sep 2006 11:48

After I install mysqldev170vs8.exe into VStudio 2005, VStudio can no longer persist IDE customization/layout changes to cmdUI.prf. I worked with a friend from MS to debug the problem and you can see that the add-in causes a crash in the VStudio shutdown process and thereby prevents the last step of the persistence process from completing.

I'm not sure what else you need from me but here's some more detail. I can not customize my IDE in anyway (and have it persist from session to session) and is quite a pain in the a$$....

Chip: AMD athlon mobile
Ram: 1.2G
VStudio: 2005 Pro, brand new install on brand new OS install

Snippet from log file created for VStudio by running VStudio from the VStudio cmdline with the following syntax:

devenv /log c:\VSLog.txt

Here's the point in the log where 'something' crashes:

2006/09/26 11:44:23.250
Information
Microsoft Visual Studio
Unloading AddIn and calling OnDisConnection: CoreLab.MySql.Addin.MySqlAddin.8

2006/09/26 11:44:23.296

Microsoft Visual Studio
Destroying Main Window

2006/09/26 11:44:23.312
Error
Microsoft Visual Studio
Couldn't save the PRF
80070057 - E_INVALIDARG
C:\Documents and Settings\chris\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\1033\CmdUI.PRF

Those are the last 3 entries in the log file. You can see that CoreLab is unloaded and then VStudio crashes while trying to persist the UI preferences. This doesn't happen if the CoreLab DevTools are not installed.

Also, if you just install the CoreLab .Net Provider for MySQL everything works fine. But, the Dev Tools cause a problem.... Please let me know when it's addressed. It's been causing a headache for me for months.

Chris

chrisdouglass

Post by chrisdouglass » Tue 26 Sep 2006 12:04

BTW, I did see a crash during installation of the Dev Tools. I have the screenshot of the crash. Where can i post it?[/img]

chrisdouglass

Post by chrisdouglass » Tue 26 Sep 2006 12:06

contents of the install.log file in the DevTools install directory:

--- Custom action error: HelpReg
Date: 9/26/2006 7:22:02 AM
Environment
Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
.NET Framework: 2.0.50727.42
Assembly: HelpReg, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Exception
Message: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
Type: System.AccessViolationException
StackTrace: at MSHelpServices.IHxSession.GetNavigationObject(String NavDataMoniker, String FilterMoniker)
at CoreLab.Common.Setup.InnovaHxReg.UpdateHelp(String helpCollection)
at CoreLab.Common.Setup.InnovaHxReg.RegisterProduct(String namespaceName, String description, String helpFile, String[] helpCollections, Boolean merge)
at CoreLab.Common.Setup.HelpRegistrator.Main(String[] args)

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Tue 26 Sep 2006 13:00

Also, if you just install the CoreLab .Net Provider for MySQL everything works fine. But, the Dev Tools cause a problem.... Please let me know when it's addressed. It's been causing a headache for me for months.
After some investigation we've found out that it is not MySQL Developer Tools itself causing the problem. The problem is in MySQLDirect add-in. We'll work over this problem. Meanwhile, you can disable this add-in from Add-in Manager.

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Tue 26 Sep 2006 13:08

BTW, I did see a crash during installation of the Dev Tools. I have the screenshot of the crash. Where can i post it?[/img]
Does error happen every time you try to reinstall it or it happened only once?

chrisdouglass

Post by chrisdouglass » Tue 26 Sep 2006 13:40

I haven't tried to install again. When I do, I'll let you know.

If I disable the add-in what functionality will be removed from my environment? Will still be able to use the libraries in my code but just not have access to their VStudio menus,etc?

chrisdouglass

Post by chrisdouglass » Tue 26 Sep 2006 14:39

BTW, i guess for the same reason the persistence fails during shutdown, when you change the Load/Unload/Startup state of the .NetDirect add-in within VSTudio / Add-in Manager, the changes to the add-in do not save either. Thus, you can not prevent the add-in from loading once it has been installed.

So, I can't workaround this problem until it's fixed. I either have to uninstall the entire Mysql.Net Direct installation thereby preventing me from using those classes in my code or simply live with the bug and don't customize VStudio.

The only problem is if the bug starts to creep into my actual coding/development/debug lifecycles and settings for my solution don't persist, etc then I will be in a real jam. I need this library for my project and can live with the UI bug for awhile. But, I can't live with it affecting persistence in my project settings, etc. I haven't hit this problem yet but I'm afraid that eventually I'll need to persist changes that will be project specific and they'll be gone after I close VStudio.

In that case, I'll have to drop CRLab until it's fixed. LMK... Would love a patch.

Chris

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Wed 27 Sep 2006 05:42

1. To see what add-in contains you can go to Tools->MySQL menu.
2. You can prevent add-in from loading in the following way
- Open registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\AddIns\CoreLab.MySql.Addin.MySqlAddin.8 (root may be HKEY_CURRENT_USER depending on installation mode)
- Set LoadBehavior value to 0