Build 9.0.665: JSON_MERGE automatically saving view as JSON_MERGE_PRESERVE

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
tfrancois

Build 9.0.665: JSON_MERGE automatically saving view as JSON_MERGE_PRESERVE

Post by tfrancois » Sun 15 Aug 2021 04:39

I am using the latest version [9.0.665] with AWS Aurora MySQL, which is compatible with MySQL up to version 5.7.12.

MySQL deprecated JSON_MERGE in favor of JSON_MERGE_PRESERVE starting with MySQL v5.7.22, but because AWS Aurora does not yet support this version, I need to save a view using the still supported JSON_MERGE at the existing compatibility level of 5.7.`12! Although I appreciate dbForge's cleverness in making this change for me on saving of the view definition, it is NOT something I need or want when connecting to my production AWS Aurora databases. And there is no indication that Aurora will be migrating/updating to 5.7.22 in the near future.

Is there a way I can turn off this automatic syntax-checking and replacement on saving of my views. Right now, I am stuck and cannot update my view definitions at all. Incidentally, the same un-modified SQL query works fine in the sql query window. The issue only occurs on saving the query as a view. Please help - thank you.

tfrancois

Re: Build 9.0.665: JSON_MERGE automatically saving view as JSON_MERGE_PRESERVE

Post by tfrancois » Thu 19 Aug 2021 18:43

@DevartTeam, any word on this issue please?

dzhanhira
Devart Team

Post by dzhanhira » Fri 20 Aug 2021 16:13

It's created a request to check it on our side. As far as it's checked, you are going to be kindly informed.

alexa

Post by alexa » Fri 27 Aug 2021 09:35

We were able to reproduce the issue and will fix it in one of the next product builds.

dzhanhira
Devart Team

Post by dzhanhira » Fri 03 Sep 2021 03:56

Actually, it's not a bug.
This transformation happens on the server side.
We send the query from the SQL document as it is. When the view editor is called, the SHOW CREATE VIEW query is sent.
It means that transformation of JSON_MERGE into JSON_MERGE_PRESERVE occurs directly on the server when creating a view and accordingly, the editor displays the view in the form in which it is stored on the server.

tfrancois

Post by tfrancois » Mon 25 Oct 2021 18:12

UPDATE:

This issue has been resolved by AWS with their latest update to AWS Aurora MySQL (RDS) - version 2021-10-21 (version 2.10.1).

This was indeed an issue with previous Aurora release(s), not a problem with dbForge as I originally thought and corrected by the Devart support's last response in this thread. So to repeat, this issue has been resolved with the latest Aurora MySQL patch/update.

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 26 Oct 2021 10:32

Thank you for updating us on this issue.