Defaults for TEXT on MariaDB and suggestions

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
steven.y

Defaults for TEXT on MariaDB and suggestions

Post by steven.y » Mon 08 Jun 2020 17:46

MariaDB has been accepting defaults for TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT and LONGTEXT since 10.2.1 and dbForge keeps removing them. This is extremely frustrating for a tool to take it upon itself to remove stuff that the user has specified. I'd love for this to be corrected so I don't have to check behind the tool and see if it has messed something up. It's quite frustrating.

Along with that, here are a few suggestions for simple UI improvements to make dbForge overall more user friendly and less frustrating.

1. When creating a new table, all the size of the columns are in "Data Type". That column is the only column dbForge knows all the values and yet it allocates WAY to much size to it. I'd suggest that it be only as large as it needed to be and the size spread to "Name" and "Default" where the value sizes would be unknown. Probably more to the "Default" field than the name, but each users experience is different. This or point #2.

2. Instead of point #1, I would prefer dbForge to remember the column sizes I set. It's a pretty standard way of doing things and I'm a bit sad that devart doesn't remember my preferences on the column sizes in dbForge. I would suggest they be remember for pretty much any grid based view. The data views for the tables and SQL results could be ignored since they are variable, but anything with a fixed (or custom, see point #3) set of fields should remember their sizes.

3. Along those lines, when creating new tables, I would like to be able to specify which "Column properties" I would like to see out in the grid so I don't have to access the "Column properties" side panel for simple things. I use the "Update Timestamp" option a lot and never use the "Collation" property. I'd love to be able to hide "Collation" and show "Update Timestamp". Reordering them would be great also, but I'd just take being able to customize them.

4. Folders in the database explorer would be nice. It seems pretty strange that doesn't exist already. You encourage us to not "Show all databases" in the connection panel, but don't give a good way to manage a larger list of databases. The "Environment Category" is great, but you don't even have a way to group by that. Even a group by "Environment Category" would help out, but adding just a single folder tier would be great.

Overall the dbForge tool is great, but it's missing some very basic things that would make it a lot more user friendly.

alexa

Re: Defaults for TEXT on MariaDB and suggestions

Post by alexa » Tue 09 Jun 2020 10:23

MariaDB has been accepting defaults for TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT and LONGTEXT since 10.2.1 and dbForge keeps removing them. This is extremely frustrating for a tool to take it upon itself to remove stuff that the user has specified. I'd love for this to be corrected so I don't have to check behind the tool and see if it has messed something up. It's quite frustrating.
We will investigate this issue.
Along with that, here are a few suggestions for simple UI improvements to make dbForge overall more user friendly and less frustrating.
You can add the suggestions on the UserVoice forum where other users can vote for them https://devart.uservoice.com/forums/77293-dbforge-studio-for-mysql

We collect and analyze the information from this forum in order to make a proper roadmap for the future product releases.

steven.y

Post by steven.y » Tue 09 Jun 2020 16:08

Thanks for the response and I will check out the UserVoice site.

Hope all at devart are safe and well!

alexa

Post by alexa » Mon 06 Jul 2020 08:44

We were not able to reproduce this issue. Please try the latest version 9.0.338 https://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/download.html