How to disable code rewriting of SQL syntax on save?!

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
tfrancois

How to disable code rewriting of SQL syntax on save?!

Post by tfrancois » Fri 07 Jun 2019 05:53

Hi,

I currently would like to TURN OFF the feature that performs code re-writing, syntax modification of my SQL queries (for saved views and stored procedures/functions). I am very adepth at writing SQL code and I often like to format my sql specifically a certain way, but every time I save a query that I have written perfectly, the program REWRITES and REFORMATS my SQL query at the expense of readability by adding extensive aliases, etc. I would like to TURN OFF this functionality.

Sometimes, in my tests, I find my code runs faster than the modified code when I run them side-by-side. Nice feature for those that need it, but it should be optional for those who are confident or are STRICT in their SQL syntax.

Is this option available? I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!

alexa

Re: How to disable code rewriting of SQL syntax on save?!

Post by alexa » Fri 14 Jun 2019 12:34

You can unselect the following options in the 'Text Editor -> Formatting -> General' section of the 'Options' window (select 'Tools -> Options...' from the main menu):
- Automatically format on paste
- Automatically format completed statement on delimiter
- Automatically format words while typing

Also, you can unselect the options in the 'Text Editor -> Code Completion -> Alias' section of the 'Options' window.

tfrancois

Post by tfrancois » Tue 15 Jun 2021 02:58

Hi, it's been a while since I posted this question but I'm still having this issue with dbForge 2020 v9.0.597.

It is infuriating to format code the way that I'd like to view it (with carriage returns, etc) for readability and comments, only to have that all shattered when auto-formatting of the code takes place on save. I NEED to have this functionality disabled EVERYWHERE in dbForge. I think it might be helpful for some, but for me it is a MAJOR nuisance and inconvenience.

Please help me completely disable code formatting. The options settings you have provided doesn't seem to do the trick completely.

Thank you and please advise.

dzhanhira
Devart Team

Post by dzhanhira » Wed 16 Jun 2021 10:52

Hi,

I have checked it again, it is a bug and we will fix it as soon as possible.
As far as there will an update I'll let you know.

tfrancois

Post by tfrancois » Sun 15 Aug 2021 04:44

Any update on this please? Thank you.

dzhanhira
Devart Team

Post by dzhanhira » Mon 16 Aug 2021 14:11

It's still on fixing stage, I guess the fix will be implemented in one of the next two releases. I'll let you know personally as far as it's available for downloading.