How to Set Interdependencies Between Columns

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
iana

How to Set Interdependencies Between Columns

Post by iana » Thu 25 Oct 2018 00:08

Is there a way to set interdependencies between columns in a table? Meaning that the value of column Y should be populated differently depending on the value of column X.

I have a bunch of examples but here is a simplified one:

Code: Select all

Table WORKFLOW(
  ID - PK 
  WORKFLOW_TYPE_ID - FK
  OBJECT_TYPE_ID - FK
  OBJECT_ID
) 
workflow_type_id and object_type_id point to reference tables; object_id is a "FK" but the table to which it points depends on the object_type_id.

Code: Select all

WORKFLOW_TYPE{ 
ID: 1, WORKFLOW: Onboarding
ID: 2, WORKFLOW: Review 
ID: 3, WORKFLOW: Raise Capital
ID: 4, WORKFLOW: Invest Capital 
}
EVENT_TYPE{
ID: 1, OBJECT: Investment Account
ID: 2, OBJECT: Deposit Account
}
If I am dealing with Investment Accounts, my OBJECT_ID will contain a FK to the INVESTMENTS table, if it is a Deposit Account, it should contain a FK to my DEPOSITS table.

So what I need to do is
  1. Set the WORKFLOW_TYPE_ID to be only a defined subset of IDs based on what is stored in the OBJECT_TYPE_ID field
    1. Set WORKFLOW_TYPE_ID to either 1 or 2 when the Object Type is Deposit (id=2)
    2. Set WORKFLOW_TYPE_ID to either 2, 3, or 4 when the Object Type is Investment (id=1)
  2. Set the OBJECT_ID to use an ID from my INVESTMENT table or from my DEPOSIT table depending on the OBECT_TYPE_ID
Are either of those possible and if so how?

alexa

Re: How to Set Interdependencies Between Columns

Post by alexa » Fri 26 Oct 2018 10:55

We recommend you to refer to dedicated SQL tutorials or forums in the Internet on this since we provide technical support only on the functionality of our products.

iana

Post by iana » Fri 26 Oct 2018 16:57

Hello Alexa,

My question is regarding your product, and more specifically for the product this forum belongs to dbForge for MySQL.
I want to know how to set interdependencies for the data being generated by your product.

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 30 Oct 2018 09:17

Thank you for the explanation.

Could you please provide us a more complete example so we can investigate it further and the following information:
1. CREATE definitions of the tables along with data.
2. Where is the data taken from?
3. Example of the resulting table with data.

You can send a reply straight to our support system at alexaATdevartDOTcom and supportATdevartDOTcom .