Awful installation/uninstallation bug

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
adetogni

Awful installation/uninstallation bug

Post by adetogni » Mon 27 Aug 2018 13:14

Hi

I hope I'm wrong, but I faced a terrible conceptual bug.

I have dbforge Studio Pro, running, with all my configuration setup (All my connections).
I installed Documenter to test it, and then I uninstalled it because I don't need it.
The uninstallation of Documenter SEEMS to have deleted all my configuration of dbForge Studio, which is *conveniently* stored in the registry, so I cannot even restore it via File History or backups (I could probably through System Restore but I don't really trust that tool).

1) Why configuration is stored in the registry?
2) How comes that uninstally a tool A deletes configuration of tool B, even by the same company?

I can probably with some effort recreate my connections, but to me it seems a conceptual mistake.

alexa

Re: Awful installation/uninstallation bug

Post by alexa » Mon 27 Aug 2018 15:34

This happened because our tools share the same connection list between each other.

If you want to keep the connections of dbForge, you need to uninstall it having unselected the option 'Connection list and version control config'.

Also, there is a possibility to export the connection list and other settings with the 'Import and Export Settings' feature that can be accessed from the main menu 'Tools -> Import and Export Settings...'.

adetogni

Post by adetogni » Tue 28 Aug 2018 07:06

Hi

Yes, that's what I understood, but I don't really believe it is a feature. It's not expected that uninstalling a tool removes settings from another tool. I don't remember if it was default to yes, but I would add a notice anyway.

Also, thanks for the tip export settings, but unless you remember to do it periodically, it won't be backed up automatically as if it was in Application Data or in a Documents folder...

Phillis12345

Post by Phillis12345 » Tue 28 Aug 2018 14:46

HEY THERE this happened becsause the tool share the same connection i think so