Unable to Drag and Drop

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
Slvfox

Unable to Drag and Drop

Post by Slvfox » Thu 17 Nov 2005 09:19

Am I missing something? When I attempt to drag a table from DbExplorer to a Windows form designer surface, the not symbol (circle with a line through it) and does not change to the normal symbol (box with + sign and arrow) when dragged over the design surface.

Am I wrong in thinking that a data adapter component should appear in the component tray? The database is fine. The structure shows up correctly in DbExplorer and I have accessed this table without a problem using a hard-coded data reader.

If I drag the table from the DbExplorer to the code window, the icons behave normally and it just drops a generic Select statement of the form
SELECT * FROM Dbname.Tablename
at the cursor position in the code window. The MS supplied data adapters supplied with the toolbox work as expected.

I'm using Visual Studio 2003 and the MySql/Net connector. Any help would be appreciated.

Alexz
Devart Team

Re: Unable to Drag and Drop

Post by Alexz » Thu 17 Nov 2005 15:42

There is an option in the preferences that specifies what data provider has to be created using drag'n'drop. Did you choose there a data provider installed on your machine?

Slvfox

Post by Slvfox » Thu 17 Nov 2005 17:42

Yes, MySqlDirect.net is specified in the prefernces and its DLL is referenced in my project. As I indicated, I have been able to use MySqlDirect successfully in this project using its datareader.

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Fri 18 Nov 2005 06:39

The main reason why MySQL Developer Tools add-in does not create component on drag'n'drop is that it cannot locate required assembly.
If you are using MySQLDirect you must ensure that CoreLab.MySql.dll assembly is either in .NET Framework folder or it's directory is includes into AssemblyFolders key in the registry.
See
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\.NETFramework\AssemblyFolders
key.
The same is true for any other ADO.NET data provider.
Please, specify also your MySQLDirect edition and full version. And, the full version of MySQL Developer Tools.

Slvfox

Post by Slvfox » Sat 19 Nov 2005 05:53

Thanks Duke.
Actually, it was my error. I had the Core Labs MySQLDirect confused with the the MySql AB MySql/Net assembly which was installed on my system. I didn't realize at the timed that Core Labs had a MySql assembly and thought the documentation was referring to the other one.