Editing data from more than one table

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and administration tools for MySQL
redactuk

Editing data from more than one table

Post by redactuk » Thu 31 Dec 2009 01:24

I can run a query on a single table and then edit data in the grid, but as soon as I enter a query that joins more than one table I can no longer edit. Is this by design or is it some setting/mode that I need to enable?

Thank

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Mon 04 Jan 2010 12:44

Hello redactuk,

Yes, you cannot edit data, retrieved from more than one table. There is no option, allowing editing such data. We designed such behaviour because in most cases it is impossible to generate correct INSERT or UPDATE statements for the related data in several tables.

We have scheduled the investigation of the possibility of editing such result sets to the next product version.

Thanks.

redactuk

Post by redactuk » Mon 04 Jan 2010 14:46

That's a shame. I'm used to working with MS SQL where you can create very complex queries with multiple joins and still edit any column 'live'. Your application is now the 8th app I've tried for MySQL that does not include this. I guess I'll just have to keep searching.

Thanks

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Mon 04 Jan 2010 15:54

redactuk wrote:I'm used to working with MS SQL where you can create very complex queries with multiple joins and still edit any column 'live'.
Could you please tell us, which tool for MS SQL Server you use, that can edit data of such queries?

redactuk

Post by redactuk » Mon 04 Jan 2010 22:50

Even with MS SQL 2000 in the default Enterprise Manager console you can build queries incorporating many joins and then simply edit the data displayed almost instantly. With my last project I was working with a large product database with multiple tables making up the logical product. When correcting the data I would invariable have queries with a minimum of 3 joins sometimes as many as 10 and still be able to edit the data live.

Of all the applications I've reviewed recently to work with MySQL only one has allowed editing of multiple joined tables, but ONLY after a separate window is opened up! Then you can make data changes but you have to then commit all the changes made afterwards as a batch - very clumsy.

Anyway, I appreciate this is probably not a requirement for most people working with MySQL as typically the database is used as an invisible backend to a web interface. As much I as love many aspects of MySQL, when it comes to being able to manage large datasets MS applications win hands down, not least because the job of developing Admin UIs for open source products is diluted across so many providers. Don't get me wrong you have a great product here which I will continue to use, it's just my eyes have been opened recently to how poorly so many applications for MySQL actually handle being able to administrate large databases.

Justmade

Post by Justmade » Tue 05 Jan 2010 05:05

For MySQL, SQLyog can update joined query.

It is limited to one dataset at one time though. When you run a query that do joins, it is default in read only mode. You can then select which table you want to update in a combobox and then those column directly from that table is editable. The other column is readonly until you apply changes and select another tables for update.

Actually, MyDAC TMyQuery of devart can allow similar behavior so I dont see why dbForge cant allow it to be done.

Also, dbForge had many advance functions that SQLyog dont have (especially debug SP).

That's why I think dbForge can be perfect if they do some more improvement .

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Wed 06 Jan 2010 14:50

to redactuk, Justmade

Thank you for the detailed answers.
As I wrote in the previous topic, we scheduled this editor improvement to the next version after dbForge Studio for MySQL, v4.00.