DBMS_OUTPUT not showing

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
Headley

DBMS_OUTPUT not showing

Post by Headley » Tue 12 Mar 2019 12:39

Hello,

I've got problems with the output-window.

1. When I call dbms_output.put_line in an procedure, the output is not shown in der output window. But if I compile the procedure after that, the buffered output is written in console. Is there no methode to flush the output buffer?
2. When I call dbms_output in my procedure and the buffer is full, I got an exception. Why? Why does the IDE does not flush the buffer automatically? Like point 1.
3. When I run an anonymous plsql block, I got no output-messages in output window.

I'm using dbForge Studio 2018 for Oracle 4.0.304

Thanx for help.

alexa

Re: DBMS_OUTPUT not showing

Post by alexa » Fri 15 Mar 2019 09:55

Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce this issue.

Could you please let us know what server version you are using and provide us examples?

Headley

Post by Headley » Mon 25 Mar 2019 10:58

if I write a simple procedure like this:

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE BBA.TEST
IS
V_IND PLS_INTEGER := 0;
BEGIN

WHILE V_IND < 500
LOOP
DBMS_OUTPUT.put_line('test333...' || V_IND);
v_ind := v_ind + 1;
END LOOP;

END;
/

and I start it with Ctrl + F5 or using contect menu -> Execute, the DBMS Output-screen is empty. But, if I compile the procedure after the execution, the compilation takes a longer time and the the DBMS-Output messages are shown. The DBMS-Buffer should be flashed, perhaps per manuall "click".

Using Oracle Enterprise Server 12.1.0.2.0, Client 12.1

Best regards
Falk

Eli.A

Post by Eli.A » Wed 27 Mar 2019 13:07

I'm having the same issue as @Headley. DBMS_OUTPUT does not show during the execution of a procedure. I'm using Oracle 12.2. DBMS_OUTPUT does work when connecting via sqldeveloper.

alexa

Post by alexa » Wed 27 Mar 2019 15:13

We will investigate this issue when developing the next product versions.