Text Editor => Formatting option is missing in 4.0 Std

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
PavelP

Text Editor => Formatting option is missing in 4.0 Std

Post by PavelP » Tue 25 Sep 2018 18:23

Hello,
I've just upgraded to 4.0 Standard Edition and immediately noticed that code formatting behaves differently. So I wanted to adjust my options but alas, no Formatting option available on Text Editor tree node and I'm pretty sure it was there in the previous version.
Please, do something with it ASAP as without the ability to preset formatting and even turn off Automatic Formatting is the entire IDE quite useless. It's quite sad that this is the only "improvement" I found so far in standard edition...
Regards,
Pavel

PavelP

Re: Text Editor => Formatting option is missing in 4.0 Std

Post by PavelP » Mon 01 Oct 2018 19:27

Guys, no offense but ignoring my previous post is not the best way how to keep your customer satisfied.
It looks like this release probably needed a "bit" more testing...
I'm no longer able to set breakpoints in package bodies (tested on 11g XE and 12.2 EE), i.e. Edit (any) Package Body=>Right Click=>Insert Breakpoint does nothing at all, also clicking on the grey strip on the left side does nothing in package bodies and I'm getting a message "A breakpoint cannot be inserted at this location" even if the line is a simple variable assignment (it only works in case of anonymous blocks).
I hope you'll be able to deliver some hotfix soon because the IDE is completely unusable in its current status.

alexa

Post by alexa » Tue 02 Oct 2018 12:42

Sorry for the delay on this.

We have reproduced this issue and will fix it in the next product build. We will notify you once it's available for downloading.

PavelP

Post by PavelP » Wed 10 Oct 2018 08:53

Hi Alexa,
thank for your response, however it makes me rather disappointed. Since I cannot edit my code as it gets reformatted in a different way and debugging does not work at all (reported in another thread as well viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37839), I think I can safely state that the IDE is literally broken and unusable for anything more advanced that simple selects.
In such a case I would expect some hotfix or at least a workaround rather than a vague and unified announcement "will fix it in the next product build", especially if there was more than a year gap between this and the previous release. At least some estimation when the fix will be available would be highly appreciated as I don't know if it's worth downgrading to the previous version or it's just a matter of days.
Btw, downgrading to the previous version does not seem to be a completely bad idea as the new one in standard version did not bring anything new (or I did not find anything new) besides fixing a critical bug reported here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36285 .
With that said, I think it's time to reconsider if the subscription renewal is wise.
Regards,
Pavel

alexa

Post by alexa » Fri 12 Oct 2018 08:42

We are currently working on the hot fix concerning the missing formatting option and will release it soon.

Sorry for the inconvenience.