User feedback after few days

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
PavelP

User feedback after few days

Post by PavelP » Sun 03 Sep 2017 16:32

Hi guys,
I've been using the Standard Edition 3.10.12 for few days and I must say that the code editor, completion and debugging is simply outstanding...that's why I bought it after all :) .
However nothing is absolutely perfect and I found these bugs (so far):
1) The code formatter does not properly format variables declared in the package specification (in my preferences I have Text Case=>Variable Case=>As in the declaration).
Steps to reproduce:
CREATE OR REPLACE package test_pkg
as
C_MY_CONSTANT constant number := 0;
end test_pkg;
/
CREATE OR REPLACE package body test_pkg
as
function return_my_constant
return number
is
begin
return C_MY_CONSTANT;
end return_my_constant;
end test_pkg;
Now format the package body and c_my_constant is lowercase, but is declared uppercase.
2) Code completion in with clause adds double quotes
Steps to reproduce:
with dd as (
select lower( dummy) lower_dummy from dual)
select dd.[ now hit ctrl+space and choose the first insight => Tab] from dd;
dd.lower_dummy should be inserted but dd."lower_dummy" is inserted instead, so the resulting query fails with the Error: ORA-00904: "DD"."lower_dummy": invalid identifier

3) This is not exactly a bug, just some inconsistency/misbehavior in the code editor.
I start typing
insert into dept ([now ctrl+space]
and here I would like to specify all the fields (or some subset). If I do the same for a select statement, e.g.
select [hit ctrl+space] from dept d;
I get the option to check the entire table at once and I would expect something similar for insert as well - it would definitely make my life way easier.
Best regards,
Pavel

alexa

Re: User feedback after few days

Post by alexa » Mon 04 Sep 2017 15:39

1) The code formatter does not properly format variables declared in the package specification (in my preferences I have Text Case=>Variable Case=>As in the declaration).
There should be duplicate object names in the current database and dbForge stores the case of the first matched object in the database.

Please try using the 'Do not change' option rather than 'As in the database'. In this case objects will be inserted in the same case as they appear in the suggestion list. For this, please perform the following:

1. Select 'Tools -> Options...' from the main menu. The 'Options' window opens.
2. Navigate to the 'Text Editor -> Formatting -> Profiles' branch.
3. Select the active profile.
4. Click 'Edit Profile...'. The 'Edit Profile' window opens.
5. Expand the 'Text Case -> Identifier Case' node.
6. Select the 'Do not change' option.

Though, we will reconsider the existing behavior of dbForge when developing the next product versions.
2) Code completion in with clause adds double quotes
We will fix this issue in one of the next product builds.
3) This is not exactly a bug, just some inconsistency/misbehavior in the code editor.
We will review this when developing the next product versions.

PavelP

Re: User feedback after few days

Post by PavelP » Mon 04 Sep 2017 19:03

Hi Alexa,
thanks for your response. Ad 1). Please, read my previous post again. It has nothing in common with database objects, only with variable declarations. I cannot use your suggestion "As in the database" as there is no such object in the database, I just want to keep my variables as I declared them. It works exactly as expected if they are declared in the package body but not if they are declared as public in the package specification.
Please, try to actually follow the steps I provided and then you can eventually try to move the variable declaration from the package specs to the package body to see the difference.
Regards,
Pavel