dbForge opens automatically

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
Valgardur

dbForge opens automatically

Post by Valgardur » Fri 05 Dec 2014 12:24

hi, when I open an TOraQuery component in Delphi (XE5) dbForge is automatically opened.. wasting time.

I remember complaining about this before and receiving an answer to set some property somewhere. I cannot find the issue or e-mail or which property to set.. it seems this has been changed back with the latest update.

First of all, how to I turn this off?

Secondly, please stop setting this as default.. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to wait for another application to launch when simply wanting to have a look at a query.. and in case they do, it is quite simple to open manually.

AlexP
Devart Team

Re: dbForge opens automatically

Post by AlexP » Mon 08 Dec 2014 09:11

Hello,

Currently, there is no opportunity to integrate to dbForge Studio avoiding the studio launch. You can disable integration in the menu ODAC -> Database Tools -> No Integration.

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Fri 19 Dec 2014 15:48

I keep turning it off, but it always gets set back - possibly in case I have both Delphi and dbForge open at the same time.

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Mon 22 Dec 2014 08:51

Please make sure that there is the following key in the registry:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Devart\ODAC

and it contains a string parameter:

OraIntegrationTool = No integration

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Mon 22 Dec 2014 09:41

OK, thanks... but

(apologies for sounding a bit too negative, but well-intended suggestions, for excellent products)

[1] I would suggest not using the Windows registry, never.
[2] If using the registry, at least make sure necessary properties are set on install
[3] If using the registry, and not properly set on install, make sure that it is set, when the user changes values that are stored
[4] Should the value be "No integration" or "Nointegration"? (or "NoIntegration"?)
[5] Please set this feature default to "off" - I cannot imagine anyone really wanting to wait for a few seconds while dbForge loads when most of the time, simply wanting to have a look on a query - and in case anyone does, it's simple enough to open dbForge manually.

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Tue 23 Dec 2014 12:15

1) Unfortunately, we can't change this behavior (using of the registry), since this will affect product behavior;
2) 3) the required properties are added to the registry on modifying (when selecting the No Integration menu item - properties are added to the registry immediately);
4) The value must be "No integration"
5) For this, there is an integration selection menu: Main Menu->ODAC->DattaBase Tools

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Tue 23 Dec 2014 12:41

Thanks,

but my point is that 2) 3) 5) do not work.

By 5) I was suggesting that default settings would be "off" rather than "on".

But a minor annoyance..

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Tue 23 Dec 2014 13:23

Perhaps, the user (or IDE) you are logged in has no permission to write in this registry branch. Therefore the values don't change. Try to add this record manually.

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Tue 23 Dec 2014 13:37

No, that is not the case.

But, as I said, not a big issue, I still hope to see it defaulted as off in the next release though.

AlexP
Devart Team

Post by AlexP » Tue 30 Dec 2014 09:20

We are working on the problem with automatic loading of the studio. We don't plan to change the default behavior.

Valgardur

Post by Valgardur » Tue 30 Dec 2014 11:01

OK, fair enough.., but I'll probably go back to PL/SQL Developer and stop using dbForge.

But do you honestly think that this is something any user would want? Have you really checked?

1. Any user wanting to have both applications open can easily do so.
2. It takes a few seconds for dbForge to open, a real waste of time.
3. The focus behaviour of the applications is weird, somehow they both lose focus.
4. The way programmers work is to work directly with SQL queries, we don't need to test them every time.
5. In case we need to test, there is an "execute" button.. so this behaviour is completely useless.