OraDeveloper and logging metadata changes

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
mbury

OraDeveloper and logging metadata changes

Post by mbury » Fri 28 Jan 2011 10:57

Hello All
Is there a feature in OraDeveloper that allows logging metadata changes into a sql script?
For example - when I add a column to a table I will have a sql script to update another copy of modified database.

TIA
Marcin

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Fri 28 Jan 2011 11:42

Right now we are developing tool that accomplishes this task. It's called dbForge Schema Compare fo Oracle

Early access preview is already available. Later we plan to integrate it to Studio.

mbury

Post by mbury » Fri 28 Jan 2011 12:03

Don't you think that in most cases this kind of tool is like "shooting a fly with a stinger".
For example I have to modify one table, one trigger and two procedures -where modifications of latter objects are result of adding a column to a table. It would be more convenient to have "modification" script than runnig a tool that will check what changes in metadata were made.

Let me recommed that you consider this kind of feature in future versions of OraDeveloper. Really usefull as I use it in similar tools dedicated other databases.

mbury

Post by mbury » Fri 28 Jan 2011 13:53

Since I am a new user so I slowly discover OraDeveloper capabilities...
A minute ago I added a column to a table. After 'saving' changes - the operation appeared in 'Output/SQL Log' as sql statement. That's great so far.
I think that it would be easy to add an option to a project that this log would be saved to a file pointed earlier by user - simple way to achieve metadata changes autologging...
For now I can copy/paste the content of the log to sql file manually since I don't have many modifications to implement...

Marcin

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Fri 28 Jan 2011 14:23

I agree that propagating spot changes is not worth of separate tool. Its primary purpose is to detect schema differences and perform major schema upgrades.