"Fatal error: failed to access critical object data"

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
object

Post by object » Sat 06 Nov 2010 09:46

Have you tried to remove the invalid Oracle Express 10g connection from your Database Explorer?

Yes, I uninstalled soon after problems occurred.

You mean that "Database Explorer - Entity Developer" (View > Entity Developer > Database Explorer) works OK, but "Database Explorer" (View > Devart Developer Tools > Database Explorer) generates the "failed to access critical program data" error when you are creating a new connection, don't you?

Yes, that's correct.

"Please post here the exact versions of dotConnect for Oracle (x.xx.xxx) and OraDeveloper Tools (x.xx.xxx) you are using. You can find these product's versions in the Tools > Oracle (Devart OraDeveloper Tools) > About menu of Visual Studio."

I will check this on Monday, but I downloaded latest trial versions as suggested by Andrey.

object

Post by object » Mon 08 Nov 2010 07:13

I checked Visual Studio "About" menu. Ironically, when I choose "About" first thing I get is the same error about failure to access critical data! But then it displays versions:

Devart dotConnect for Oracle 5.70.180.0
Devart Entity Developer 2.80.165.0
Devart OraDeveloper Tools 2.60

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Tue 09 Nov 2010 09:22

object wrote:...I get is the same error about failure to access critical data...
This error may occur if trial version of OraDeveloper Tools is used and
1) UAC (User Account Control) is activated in Windows
2) time is adjusted forward or backward
In the first case you should run the application with administrator rights or turn UAC off.
And the second case is considered as an attempt to change the trial period of the product.

object

Post by object » Tue 09 Nov 2010 09:37

"In the first case you should run the application with administrator rights or turn UAC off."

Bingo! Starting Visual Studio in administrator mode fixed the problem.

Thanks for the great support.