support for Foreign key constraints on VIEWS

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
TheBlaiser

support for Foreign key constraints on VIEWS

Post by TheBlaiser » Wed 21 Jul 2010 13:15

I am a new OraDev Studio user (v2.55.167), so perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't see a way to examine or modify foreign key (referential integrity) constraints on VIEWS. For me this is a pretty big issue. I've searched both the help and the forum, to no avail.

Both Toad and Oracle SQL Developer do provide a way to view these constraints on Views.

What am I missing?

Interesting Note: when you ask Oracle SQL Developer to display the SQL of a view, the display includes the statements that define the constraints but not those that define view and column comments. OraDev Studio shows the comment statements but not the constraint statements. Go figure ... :|

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Thu 22 Jul 2010 14:00

Unfortunately OraDeveloper Studio does not allow to edit a foreign key that was already created. Only viewing is allowed.
To change a foreign key you should delete the existing one and after that create a new one.

TheBlaiser

Post by TheBlaiser » Thu 22 Jul 2010 15:06

Thanks for the response. I'm not so much interested in editing FK constraints, but I simply must be able to examine them. I don't see where in the OraDeveloper Studio UI one can view/discover FK constraints on Oracle views.

Please let me know if I'm just missing it.

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Fri 23 Jul 2010 11:50

Unfortunately, OraDeveloper Studio does not support work with foreign keys and other constrains referring to views in Database Explorer and Data Object Editor.
You can only create/drop or disable/enable that constraints in SQL Document.

TheBlaiser

Post by TheBlaiser » Fri 23 Jul 2010 16:19

Thank you again for the response. Please put the ability to at least examine column constraints of views on the OraDeveloper feature "wish list". I can't uninstall Toad until I can see view constraints in OraDeveloper Studio! :)

It would be excellent if OraDev could simply add the DDL statements for the constraints to the display in the Text tab of the view editor.

.jp
Devart Team

Post by .jp » Tue 27 Jul 2010 15:14

Many thanks for your post. I have logged this in our internal tracking system but I can not provide any time-frame concerning the time when we will work on the new version where your suggestion will be included.