Unicode support for sql script files

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
philbeeson

Post by philbeeson » Wed 04 Nov 2009 11:58

I currently have some scripts that populate certain tables with non-latin characters. When editting these in VS2008, since the install of the Devart Tools, these unicode files are now converted back to Ansi/8bit files when saved.

I'm not even using the OraDeveloper tools on this project (it's SQL-server based). I just need to edit the files in VS2008 without having the Unicode encoding stripped.

If I add a file association in VS2008 .sql files and associate them with the source editor - everything is fine - till I want to use the oraDeveloper tools on an Oracle project.

Are there any plans to support Unicode .sql files and the File->Advanced Save Options dialog, or any better work around than adding / removing the .sql file association whenever I want to use/ not use the OraDeveloper tools

Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Version 9.0.30729.1 SP
Devart dotConnect for Oracle 5.20.33.0
Devart Entity Developer 2.0.21.0
Devart OraDeveloper Tools 2.55

Phil.

Duke
Devart Team

Post by Duke » Thu 05 Nov 2009 07:47

I can suggest you following workaround. When you need to edit SQL file choose Open With... command from popup menu in Solution Explorer if file is in project or the same command from Open File dialog (click down arrow on Open button to show popup menu). Then in Open With dialog choose standard SQL editor instead of one from OraDeveloper Tools.

Lu53

Post by Lu53 » Fri 19 Feb 2010 23:33

Will that ever be supported? If not, the tools are unusable for me. I have plenty of sql scripts in UTF-8 format containing unicode literals. Once loaded into the sql editor, changed and saved KILLS all unicode literals without further notice! Thats no fun...

Can you estimate a date as to when this will be fixed?

Thanks, Lu

Tyro
Devart Team

Post by Tyro » Mon 22 Feb 2010 13:26

The problem concerning file encodings has been fixed.
A new build will be available within a week.

Alexz
Devart Team

Post by Alexz » Wed 03 Mar 2010 07:04

The new build is available for download. You can get it from: http://www.devart.com/dbforge/oracle/to ... nload.html