Error: Viewing XML schema via Oradeveloper in VS.NET 2008

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding database management and development tools for Oracle
goethals.f

Error: Viewing XML schema via Oradeveloper in VS.NET 2008

Post by goethals.f » Mon 12 Oct 2009 08:17

Hello,

Today I was doing some test concerning XML-types/schema's in our Oracle 10g DB.

Most of my daily-access happens via the Oradeveloper tools in VS.NET 2008.

When I try to view the content in the XML-schema treenode --> I see the name of my simple-test-XSD schema.
Bu when try to view "View XML Schema" I got the error:

"ORA-19011: Character string buffer too small"

The XSD-schema itself is very small, only 1707 chars (including spaces), 1310 excluding spaces.

My schema-namespace is "http://localhost:8080/public/XSD/TEST/TEST_Section"

Is there a reason why I get this error ?

PS: When I create a new table via the Oradeveloper, I can specify for a column it type as "XMLTYPE", but I can not access and not see anything in the schema-dropdownlist. (I think this is were I can specify which XML-schema has to be applied to this XMLTYPe column ?)

thx

Fred

ps2: I have currently version 2.55.148, because I can not see the updated version in the download arear --> e-mail has been send to sales dpt.

Alexz
Devart Team

Post by Alexz » Tue 13 Oct 2009 09:23

Yes, if the schema size is about 4000 bytes, an error occurs when performing the "View Xml Schema" operation. This problem will be fixed in the next build.

Yes, XMLTYPE field editing currently is not available due to technical reasons.

goethals.f

Post by goethals.f » Tue 13 Oct 2009 10:18

Alexz wrote:Yes, if the schema size is about 4000 bytes, an error occurs when performing the "View Xml Schema" operation. This problem will be fixed in the next build.

Yes, XMLTYPE field editing currently is not available due to technical reasons.
Thx for info.

Fred

Do you have any idea why I cannot download the latest versions anymore from the user-download-area. Last version available for download for me is "2.55.148" --> and no answer yet to my e-mail sended to the sales dept.

Devart
Site Admin

Post by Devart » Tue 13 Oct 2009 13:24

goethals.f wrote:Do you have any idea why I cannot download the latest versions anymore from the user-download-area. Last version available for download for me is "2.55.148" --> and no answer yet to my e-mail sended to the sales dept.
The last build is 2.55.148, available for download from registered users area.

.jp
Devart Team

Re: Error: Viewing XML schema via Oradeveloper in VS.NET 2008

Post by .jp » Tue 23 Feb 2010 10:29

goethals.f wrote:PS: When I create a new table via the Oradeveloper, I can specify for a column it type as "XMLTYPE", but I can not access and not see anything in the schema-dropdownlist. (I think this is were I can specify which XML-schema has to be applied to this XMLTYPe column ?)
During schema registing in OraDeveloper Studio and Tools, Oracle object types equal to elements of XML schema are generated. They are created in the same Oracle schema where you register the XML schema. You can view them in Database Explorer in Object Types folder.

There are 2 ways of XML schema usage:
1. You can create an XML table (a schema is specified there.) The table will be fully equal to the selected element in the selected schema. It is required to right-click "Tables" folder in the Database Explorer and select "New XML table".
2. You can create a column of a required data type. While creating a column in a usual table, in the new column dialog you should specify "Use ADT". Schema-drop-down list will appear. In this drop-down list select _schema_Oracle_ where xmltypes, generated during xml schema registration, exist.
Then in Data type drop-down list select a required type.