MySqlDependency with Parameterized Query

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
Zero-G.

MySqlDependency with Parameterized Query

Post by Zero-G. » Fri 05 Jun 2020 09:52

Hey

Using the .Net Core Version of your mySQL Product
I maybe found a bug in the MySqlDependency class
I want to add a CommandDependency by using a list, what works really fine:

Code: Select all

locListOfTables.ForEach(Sub(locItem)
                                    Dim locCommand As New MySqlCommand With {.Connection = myConnection,
                                                                             .CommandText = String.Format("Select * from {0}", locItem}

Dim locTableCommand = locCommand

locDependency.AddCommandDependency(locTableCommand)
                                End Sub)
The problem with this code is, that Visual Studio says, that the Select command is not safe: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visual ... ew=vs-2019

This is, why I tried to add parameterized Query to the CommandDependency:

.CommandText = "Select * from :table"}

locCommand.Parameters.Add("table", locItem.ToString)

End Sub)
But then, then OnChange event get's never hit. In the first solution, everything works fine.
Could you please check this
THX a lot

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: MySqlDependency with Parameterized Query

Post by Shalex » Sat 04 Jul 2020 13:09

Refer to the discussion at https://stackoverflow.com/questions/332 ... -parameter:
You can not parameterize your table names, column names or any other databse objects. You can only parameterize your values.

You need to pass it as a string concatenation on your sql query but before you do that, I suggest use strong validation or white list (only fixed set of possible correct values).

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: MySqlDependency with Parameterized Query

Post by Shalex » Sat 04 Jul 2020 14:17

Zero-G. wrote: Fri 05 Jun 2020 09:52I want to add a CommandDependency by using a list, what works really fine:

.CommandText = String.Format("Select * from {0}", locItem}

End Sub)
The problem with this code is, that Visual Studio says, that the Select command is not safe: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visual ... ew=vs-2019
It's a warning that SQL query may contain user input. Review your code to check if this applies to your case.