Installation/uninstallation problem

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL
rvr

Installation/uninstallation problem

Post by rvr » Mon 12 Dec 2005 15:40

Hi,

We installed the demo version of MysqlDirect on 2 computers with Windows XP SP2 and they worked fine.

Windows Event Viewer generated this log:

Product: Core Lab MySQLDirect .NET Data Provider Trial -- Installation operation completed successfully.

Now that we have the registered version, I am trying to uninstall the demo version but I get this error:

Product: Core Lab MySQLDirect .NET Data Provider Trial -- Error 1722.There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action UninstallAddin, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI10.tmp, command: "MySQLDirect .NET" "C:\Programas\CoreLab\MySQLDirect.NET\" "VS70, VS71" MySQLDirect "CoreLab Database Developer Tools"

Questions:

1. What caused this error?

2. Do I need to uninstall the demo version (3.0) before installing the registered version?

3. The error occurred about two-thirds of the uninstallation and very likely that I uninstalled some necessary files. If I don't fully uninstall the demo version, will this not cause any future problems? I wouldn't want to format the hdd's on the 2 machines just to get rid of the demo files.

4. Is there a workaround in Windows registry to fully disable the demo version?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Serious

Post by Serious » Mon 12 Dec 2005 15:57

To remove MySQLDirect .NET manually you should:
Stop Windows Installer service;
Delete key in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products
that corresponds to MySQLDirect .NET;
Delete key in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Assemblies
that corresponds to CoreLab.MySql.dll;
Remove all CoreLab.* assemblies from GAC;
Stop IIS service if you install Web demos virtual directories;
Remove \Program Files\CoreLab\MySQLDirect.NET folder.
After that you can install MySQLDirect .NET again.

Post by Guest » Mon 12 Dec 2005 18:50

Hi Serious,

Following your instructions, I got this error during the installation:

--- Custom action error: UninstallAddin
Date: 12-12-2005 18:36:34
Environment
Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
.NET Framework: 2.0.50727.42
Assembly: HelpReg, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Exception
Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Type: System.NullReferenceException
StackTrace: at CoreLab.Common.Setup.CustomActionException..ctor(Exception ex, String hypothesis)
at CoreLab.Common.Setup.InnovaHxReg.ExecuteProcess(String target, String arguments, String workDir)
at CoreLab.Common.Setup.InnovaHxReg.RegisterProduct(String namespaceName, String description, String helpFile, String[] helpCollections)
at CoreLab.Common.Setup.HelpRegistrator.Main(String[] args)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyhow, I deleted all entries of "corelab" and "mysqldirect" in windows registry (a couple of dozen of them!). Also deleted all files in drive C: with string " mysqldirect.* ".

I checked Event Viewer and came up with this (believe it or not):

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Descrição:
A detecção do produto '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', funcionalidade 'WordUserData', componente '{8ADD2C93-C8B7-11D1-9C67-0000F81F1B38}' falhou. O recurso 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Word\UserData' não existe.
- - - - - - - - - - -

The installer is looking for user data from Microsoft Word....

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Descrição:
A detecção do produto '{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}', funcionalidade 'OfficeUserData', componente '{4A31E933-6F67-11D2-AAA2-00A0C90F57B0}' falhou. O recurso 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ODBC\ODBC.INI\MS Access Database\ não existe.
- - - - - - - - - - -

... and user data from MS Access!!

Both Word and Access are installed in computer-1, but never been used yet so I opened both apps and entered the user initials. That done, I proceeded with MysqlDirect installation.

During install, MysqlDirect asked if I want to Change Install Options, Repair, or Uninstall. I clicked on repair and installation finished smoothly.

Question:

What has MS office apps got to do with the installation? something to do with msi configuration???

I'll be working next on the second machine... see what comes up.

Thanks.

RVR

Post by Guest » Mon 12 Dec 2005 19:20

Hi to all,

OK, it's confirmed on 3 machines:

Mysqldirect won't install properly if Word and Access are not installed AND must have user data.

The first machine was XP Portuguese, the other 2 are both English. That rules out regional settings.

Me and my colleagues can continue with our project. If anything funny comes up again, I'll post back.

Regards,
RVR

ps: Dear readers, please post comment if you had similar experience or have any idea why our installation behaved this way.

Serious

Post by Serious » Wed 14 Dec 2005 14:09

MySQLDirect .NET doesn't require MS Office or any other third-party product being installed.

As for installation error. It is caused by Hxds.dll missing or unregistered. This library is required to register or unregister help files.