Configure Data Source generating select statements with []

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for MySQL

Configure Data Source generating select statements with []

Post by mjwilde » Mon 25 Jul 2011 14:14

I am using Visual Studio 2010 Express and dotConnect, which I downloaded last week. I am connecting to a mySQL 5.5.8 database.

I can connect to the data source fine and can see the tables and their columns.

However, when I 'Configure the Select Statement' using 'Specify columns from a table or view', the code is generated with square brackets around the column names:

I have to manually remove the brackets before things will work. This in turn converts it into a custom SQL statement which means that editing it is much more difficult.

Please can someone advise?

Many thanks!

Devart Team

Post by Shalex » Wed 27 Jul 2011 11:27

It seems like you are using standard System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSource that is not adjusted for working with MySQL database.
We recommend you using Devart.Data.MySql.Web.MySqlDataSource which generates a valid SQL and includes convinient editors for update commands. Please note that MySqlDataSource is available only in the Professional and Developer editions of dotConnect for MySQL: dotConnect for MySQL Professional Trial (free use during 30 days) can be downloaded from

As you are using the Express edition of Visual Studio 2010, you should follow these additional steps to add the Devart components into your Toolbox:
- Open Visual Studio and go to Toolbox window;
- Add 'MySQL Data' tab using right mouse button;
- Select Choose Items... from popup menu;
- Go to .NET Framework Components tab within opened dialog;
- Check the components the Namespace column of which starts with "Devart";
- Press OK button.
After this, MySqlDataSource will be available in the web projects.