libmysql.dll compatibility

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for MySQL in Delphi and C++Builder
wilson

libmysql.dll compatibility

Post by wilson » Wed 28 Mar 2007 04:28

I have both mysql 3.23 (old password authentication method) and mysql 5.0 (new password authentication method) servers. I try to use the same libmysql.dll (from mysql 5.0 binary) and dbexpmda.dll to connect to both my servers. It seems that both are working fine! I wonder if it is safe to use libmysql.dll (from mysql 5.0 binary) for mysql 3.23 server. I have not found the related info from mysql.com yet. So, I'm appreciated to any replies here. Thank you very much.

P.S. I also tried to let both libmysql.dll (3.23 and 5.0) co-exist but I have problem with this. Under windows system directory, I put libmysqll.dll (3.23) and put libmysql50.dll (copy and rename mysql 5.0 libmysql.dll to this). In the TSQLConnection component, I use different VendorLib for different mysql server version. But I cannot connect to the 5.0 one. Error is mysql client version for authentication problem.

Antaeus

Post by Antaeus » Wed 28 Mar 2007 08:44

wilson wrote:I wonder if it is safe to use libmysql.dll (from mysql 5.0 binary) for mysql 3.23 server.
Yes, it is safe.
wilson wrote:Error is mysql client version for authentication problem.
It looks like libmysql.dll of MySQL 3.23 is used to connect to MySQL 5.0. You can see this topic of MySQL Reference Manual for more information.

Note, DbxMda provides direct access to MySQL server (libmysql.dll is not used). Just select the "MySQL Direct (Core Lab)" connection name.

wilson

Post by wilson » Wed 28 Mar 2007 09:23

Thank you for prompt reply.

I knew the "Client does not support authentication protocol" issue and what happens. Thanks. But I don't know why the problem occurs when I use the correct libmysql.dll or libmysql50.dll for the VendorLib property. Any way, it is fine that it is safe to use libmysql.dll from mysql 5.0.

You reminded me the "MySQL Direct" connection name. Thanks. I'll try.