dbExpress vs MyDac

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for MySQL in Delphi and C++Builder
bvsimmons1204

dbExpress vs MyDac

Post by bvsimmons1204 » Thu 11 Nov 2004 20:02

I hope this is not too dumb of a question. Can someone briefly tell me the advantages/disadvantage of using the MyDac components vs the dbExpress. I am particularly interested in the differences in performance and capability.

Thanks in advance.

Ikar

Re: dbExpress vs MyDac

Post by Ikar » Fri 12 Nov 2004 09:36

In short, dbExpress was designed as universal technology to access any databases. As a result, as any universal tool it greatly gives in specialized one.

We can advise to use dbExpress only for that cases then you need to have a possibility quickly switch from, for example, MS SQL to Oracle.
And even in this case you should think over queries syntax. Most probably, you have to specify them separately for each server.

Here are advantages that you have if you use MyDAC (SDAC, ODAC) in comparing with dbExpress:
  • Advanced design-time editors
  • A great number of flexible settings that allow as much as possible correspond to current tasks
  • Optimized mechanism of generating queries to update data
  • Ability to distribute your applications without dll
  • Easy migration from BDE
As to performance comparison, in common case it is quite close.

bvsimmons1204

Re: dbExpress vs MyDac

Post by bvsimmons1204 » Fri 12 Nov 2004 12:20

So, dbExpress is like ODBC, but only better, faster and smaller.

Thanks, this is very helpful as I am developing a product where some customer will want a MySQL database and other will want a MS Sql database. It looks like using dbExpress might help me accomplish this from the same code base (queries may be different in some cases).