Devart MySQL DBX driver distribution

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for MySQL in Delphi and C++Builder
jonb2

Devart MySQL DBX driver distribution

Post by jonb2 » Mon 16 Jul 2012 16:50

Hello Devart Crew

I am contempleting buying the DBX driver. I have MyDAC, but DevExpress have just released their grid with an optimized 'ServerMode' connector for DBX, so I am interested in running DBX just for this for speed. I have a couple of questions:

1) I intend running both - but how does the performance compare between MyDAC and your DBX driver and what are the main limitations of the DBX version? I aready know your version is optimized compared to the standard XE2 drivers.

2) I naturally want to use the direct mode. Does this mean I have to take care of putting dbexpmda40.dll into the respective Windows path directories when I distribute my app? Does this DLL work for all 32/64 bit OS/MySQL versions ?

Kind regards

Jon

AndreyZ

Re: Devart MySQL DBX driver distribution

Post by AndreyZ » Tue 17 Jul 2012 07:38

Hello,

1. To work with MySQL, you can use both dbExpress driver for MySQL or MyDAC, but we recommend you to use MyDAC. With MyDAC you will get wide choice of components to work with ( http://www.devart.com/mydac/components.html ). Using dbExpress drivers, you are limited by the dbExpress interface that doesn't support many server-specific features. dbExpress driver for MySQL uses MyDAC functionality internally, so the performance will be high using both products. You can try using MyDAC and dbExpress driver for MySQL trial editions and check what product is more appropriate for you. MyDAC Trial Edition is available at http://www.devart.com/mydac/download.html . dbExpress driver for MySQL Trial Edition is available at http://www.devart.com/dbx/mysql/download.html .

2. Yes, you should supply the dbexpmda40.dll library with your application. You can copy dbexpmda40.dll to Windows path directories or place it with the executable file of your application.
There is no unique libraries that work with both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms, it is impossible due to the differences of these platforms. If you want to create only 32-bit applications using our dbExpress driver for MySQL, you can use only the 32-bit dbexpmda40.dll library. If you want to create only 64-bit applications using our dbExpress driver for MySQL, you can use only the 64-bit dbexpmda40.dll library. If you want to create both 32-bit and 64-bit applications using our dbExpress driver for MySQL, you should use both 32-bit and 64-bit dbexpmda40.dll libraries. Please note that 32-bit applications can work on both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms, and 64-bit applications can work only on the 64-bit platform. If you want to create Mac OS X applications using our dbExpress driver for MySQL, you can use only the libdbexpmda40.dylib library.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Tue 17 Jul 2012 10:29

Hello Andrey

Thank you for the very full answer as always. I have MyDAC, it's just that the latest DevExpress grid now has an optimized 'ServerMode' datasource method for speed with large amount of data. At the moment, the only MySQL connectors for this mode are ADO or DBX. There is no standard data access.

As our GUI deals with quickly manipulating 'views' of tens of thousands of rows from a remote server, I considered your DBX driver just for this as well as MyDAC for everything else.

So, the best thing to do is suck it and see ...

Kind regards

Jon

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Tue 17 Jul 2012 10:52

All MyDAC dataset components have the FetchAll property. If FetchAll is True, all data is fetched on dataset opening. If FetchAll is False, data is fetched to the client only when it is explicitly requested. As we can see, the "Server Mode" DevExpress feature is intended for the same purpose. We do not develop DevExpress, so we do not know in what ways the "Server Mode" feature differs from our functionality. For more information about this feature and its usage, please contact the DevExpress developers.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Tue 17 Jul 2012 11:11

Good point Andrey.

I have benchmarked MyDAC in various scenarios against others. It is currently the fastest MySQL connector I can find. So I would prefer to use this throughout.

Thanks again :-)

Jon

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Tue 17 Jul 2012 12:21

If any other questions come up, please contact us.

jonb2

Post by jonb2 » Tue 17 Jul 2012 13:14

Actually A, it looks quite limited anyway at the moment, for everybody's FYI:

link was deleted by moderator because of company policy