DBNETLIB Error

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for SQL Server in Delphi and C++Builder
janog

DBNETLIB Error

Post by janog » Thu 11 Nov 2004 09:19

Hi,
We are randomly experiencing this error when connecting to SQL W2K from application servers using DBExpress driver. I see numerous links on the web but no real answers.

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionWrite (send()).]General network error. Check your network documentation.}
Can you describe a function path from DBExpress driver .. to SQL Data.
Can I use only Named Pipes... or allways TCP/IP protocol.
And what about SPX/IPX .. some documentation says that I must disable this protocol.

Ikar

Re: DBNETLIB Error

Post by Ikar » Thu 11 Nov 2004 15:47

This error can be raised on connection break.
Can I use only Named Pipes... or allways TCP/IP protocol.
And what about SPX/IPX .. some documentation says that I must disable this protocol.
There is no significant difference between these protocols.

Karl-Heinz Reng

Post by Karl-Heinz Reng » Wed 17 Nov 2004 22:24

Hello,

use TCP/IP. It performs under a Windows Network perfectly. Named Pipes with the protcoll Netbeui don´t use. Sometimes very slow.
SPX/IPX only works with Novell Netware. Don´t use this in a real Windows Network.
Check your Client Setup on your Workstation. Use your SQL Server CD and install the Client. What Version of the MDAC Components are installed? Fpr SQL Server 2000 use 2.6 or higher.

Regards

Karl-Heinz Reng
Reng-EDV

janog

important detail

Post by janog » Fri 19 Nov 2004 15:30

application server (using DBExpress driver) and MS SQL 2000
works on the same server

I can not understand how and why there is a possibility to broke connection? any advice?

thanx

Ikar

Post by Ikar » Fri 19 Nov 2004 16:23

Try to check your server settings. Another users have never informed us about similar problems.

Post by Guest » Thu 25 Nov 2004 14:06

Ikar wrote:Try to check your server settings. Another users have never informed us about similar problems.
OK, but can you give me some tips?
We updated MDAC from 2.7 to 2.8.
We checked client and server networking settings (both configured to use only TCP/IP protocol).
SQL engine and DATA server using DBExpress component resides on the same computer.
Error occures very randomly. No error for several days. One or more failures in one day.

What else would be checked? Sotware versions? Windows settings? Hardware ?

thanx

Ikar

Post by Ikar » Fri 26 Nov 2004 10:50

Try to receive all error codes from Exception, and then check them in the list of errors returned "send" command from WinSock.

Please specify how you set name of the server in TMSConnection parameters? As a name of local machine, IP-address or "(local)"?

janog

Post by janog » Thu 09 Dec 2004 06:42

Ikar wrote:Please specify how you set name of the server in TMSConnection parameters? As a name of local machine, IP-address or "(local)"?
As name of local machine!
Is there some difference in connection nature (way of processing) when using local machine name, IP address or (local) ?

Ikar

Post by Ikar » Thu 09 Dec 2004 09:26

Connection is established by IP address. But to convert a name of local PC to IP-address possible it is required connection to that can be unstable. You can ask your system administrator about details.

For the check you can try to use address 127.0.0.1 instead of the name.