ApplicationIntent

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for SQL Server in Delphi and C++Builder
xnadeem

ApplicationIntent

Post by xnadeem » Thu 13 Aug 2020 05:51

Hi Guys,

I am working on SQL Server Always on and trying out applicationIntent=Readonly. For some reason this is not working when I set this property in connection string

Is this supported? Is there any work around?

Cheers

Stellar
Devart Team

Re: ApplicationIntent

Post by Stellar » Tue 18 Aug 2020 09:36

Currently Devart dbExpress driver for SQL Server doesn't support SQL Server Always On availability group.
You can access all features of SQL Server with Devart dbExpress drivers, though we recommend you to use components -- SDAC: devart.com/sdac/ and UniDAC: devart.com/unidac. They provide higher performance and more features compared with the dbExpress technology. SDAC and UniDAC also support Always On availability groups.

xnadeem

Post by xnadeem » Thu 26 May 2022 10:46

Hi,

In your latest release 9.1.1 of "dbExpress Driver for SQL Server"
I can see support for SQL Server Always on. Do you now support ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly? in connection string?

as this was not working in older versions

pavelpd
Devart Team

Post by pavelpd » Thu 16 Jun 2022 04:43

Hi!
Thanks for your request.

Kindly note, that ApplicationIntent has been added to the latest version of our 9.1.1 driver:

Always On availability groups for the Native Client and MSOLEDBSQL provider is supported

Also, for the DevartSQLServerDirect driver, it will be added in the next version of our driver.

To work with AlwaysOn Availability Groups and to set the workload to read only, you need to apply the "MultiSubnetFailover=True" and "ApplicationIntent=aiReadOnly" options.

Example of the use:

Code: Select all

SQLConnection.Params.Values['MultiSubnetFailover'] := 'True';
SQLConnection.Params.Values['ApplicationIntent'] := 'aiReadOnly';
Please let us know if there are any questions!