Problem with the tinyint fields

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for SQL Server in Delphi and C++Builder
maleks

Problem with the tinyint fields

Post by maleks » Mon 28 Sep 2015 20:59

Hi, I have a problem with the new version of the dbexpress driver and tinyint fields. A tinyint field in the previous versions was ftSmallInt datatype, but now it's ftByte and for example, instead of 1 I get 1025.

azyk
Devart Team

Re: Problem with the tinyint fields

Post by azyk » Tue 29 Sep 2015 10:50

Thank you for the information. We have reproduced the problem and will investigate it.

maleks

Post by maleks » Fri 16 Oct 2015 07:22

Can you give me any solution? My application does not work properly!

azyk
Devart Team

Post by azyk » Tue 20 Oct 2015 15:05

We have fixed this problem. This fix will be included in the next dbExpress driver for SQL Server build.

We have sent you a night build including the fix to your e-mail. Please install it and let us know if the problem still remains.

maleks

Post by maleks » Thu 10 Dec 2015 09:42

In the version of DBExpress driver you sent me, problem still exists when I get records from stored procedures.

azyk
Devart Team

Post by azyk » Fri 11 Dec 2015 09:11

We can't reproduce the described issue for tinyint using a stored procedure. Please try to compose a small sample reproducing the issue and send it to andreyz*devart*com . Include the scripts for creating the table and stored procedure.

rffuller

Post by rffuller » Tue 05 Jul 2016 01:30

I have just upgraded to the latest release and am also getting this error when calling stored procedures with tinyint parameters: "error converting data type smallint to tinyint".

I have literally 100's of procedures in several applications, so i need a fix for this urgently. For now, I have had to revert back to the old version that I was previously using, but this version does not fully support windows authentication in SQL2014, which is needed by some customers.

Please advise

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Tue 05 Jul 2016 11:21

As we wrote earlier, we can't reproduce the described issue for tinyint using a stored procedure. Therefore, to investigate this behavior of dbExpress driver for SQL Server, please try to compose a small sample reproducing the issue and send it to viktorv*devart*com include the scripts for creating the table and stored procedure.

rffuller

Post by rffuller » Mon 11 Jul 2016 03:22

After further investigation, I discovered that the reason for the error message when attempting to pass tinyint fields to a stored procedure was in fact correct! The program was indeed trying to pass a value of 1795 as a tinyint, which obviously is invalid.

HOWEVER, the reason for this is because the data being returned via the Devart component is incorrect! A tinyint value of 3 is being returned via the database components as 1795. This behaviour is probably because of the way that the programs are written, which is quite complex but has worked on the old version of the component for many years.

As requested, I have built a sample program which reproduces the problem and have emailed it to the address you provided.

ViktorV
Devart Team

Post by ViktorV » Mon 11 Jul 2016 13:04

Thank you for the information. We have reproduced the issue and investigation is in progress. We will inform you when we have any results.