Cannot find connection files error message

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for SQL Server in Delphi and C++Builder
wdwhitaker

Cannot find connection files error message

Post by wdwhitaker » Fri 15 Feb 2013 21:53

I have Delphi 2009 installed on my Windows Vista machine (32 bit). I am able to compile and deploy applications using the dbxpress for SQL Server component.

I recently installed again on my laptop running Windows 7 (64 bit). After compiling the same application from the laptop, when I run the application at a different computer, I am getting an error message indicating 'Error reading DriverName: Cannot find connection files...'

Of course, this relates to the dbxconnections.ini and dbxdrivers.ini files that are not deployed with the application. I am trying to determine the difference between my Vista machine whose compiled applications do NOT need those .ini files to exist in the application folder to run correctly and my Windows 7 machine which does require them.

I have read alot of information regarding this, but I have not yet discovered someone with an answer. Does the OS or 32 v 64 have anything to do with this? Everything else between the two appeared to be the same.

William

AndreyZ

Re: Cannot find connection files error message

Post by AndreyZ » Mon 18 Feb 2013 14:08

This is the behaviour of Delphi 2009, you need to deploy the dbxconnections.ini and dbxdrivers.ini files with your application. You will not have such problem with Delphi 2010 and higher versions of Delphi.

wdwhitaker

Post by wdwhitaker » Mon 18 Feb 2013 14:34

OK, that may be true regarding higher versions of Delphi, but that doesn't explain why I can compile in OS x32 and deploy without including those ini files. What could be the difference that allows me to do so when simply compiling from a different computer?

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Tue 19 Feb 2013 09:43

This problem is not related to the Windows version you are using. If you want to deploy an application that uses the dbExpress technology and is developed in Delphi 2009, you must deploy the dbxconnections.ini and dbxdrivers.ini files with the application. If you do not see the 'Cannot find connection files' error when deploying the application on a different computer, it means that there are the dbxconnections.ini and dbxdrivers.ini files on this computer. This is a behaviour of Delphi 2009. We cannot influence it. You can write about this problem to the Embarcadero support.
To avoid the problem, you can either deploy the dbxconnections.ini and dbxdrivers.ini files with your application, or upgrade to Delphi 2010.

wdwhitaker

Post by wdwhitaker » Tue 19 Feb 2013 16:58

Just to be clear, the clients' computers do NOT have the ini files installed on them. There is some way, don't know how (which is why I'm inquiring), that I am able to run apps without them when compiled from my x32 computer (under D2009), but not from my x64 (also D2009).

I went as far as renaming the ini files on my x32 and then running the apps compiled from there and they run fine. Not the same with those from the x64.

If you come across any ideas/possibilities, your help would be appreciated. I do not relish having to update countless computers with those ini files.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 20 Feb 2013 14:05

Please make sure that you are using the same Delphi 2009 version on both computers, with Windows x32 and x64.
I have used the Delphi 2009 version 12.0.3420.21218 under Windows 7 x32 and x64. The 'Cannot find connection files' error occurred independently of Windows version used for creating an application, and Windows version used for testing the application.

wdwhitaker

Post by wdwhitaker » Wed 20 Feb 2013 14:42

Yes, that is the same version I have for both.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 21 Feb 2013 10:50

I cannot reproduce the situation when an application that uses any dbExpress driver and that is built in Delphi 2009 does not require the dbxconnections.ini and dbxdrivers.ini files. Please try creating a new application that behaves in such way and send it to andreyz*devart*com .