Migration from BDE - LangDriver

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for SQL Server in Delphi and C++Builder
RonBrisola

Migration from BDE - LangDriver

Post by RonBrisola » Wed 14 Nov 2012 13:18

Hello,

On connecting a SQL-Server database with the old BDE (Borland Database Engine) there is a LangDriver parameter.

We used to use the "Pdox ANSI Intl850" option.

Now with this dbExpress driver is there an equivalent option for this?

Thanks,
Ronaldo.

AndreyZ

Re: Migration from BDE - LangDriver

Post by AndreyZ » Wed 14 Nov 2012 16:09

Hello,

dbExpress driver for SQL Server does not have an equivalent for the BDE LANGDRIVER option. The point is that SQL Server stores Unicode characters only in the nchar, nvarchar, and ntext data types. That's why, dbExpress driver for SQL Server always works with these data types in the Unicode mode, and in the non-Unicode mode for all other data types. Please specify the exact situation when using dbExpress driver for SQL Server causes any problems with character sets.

RonBrisola

Post by RonBrisola » Wed 14 Nov 2012 21:15

Hello Andrey, thanks for the feedback.

Actually my problem is with the caracter accentuation.
All my database records has been posted with the BDE LANGDRIVER "Pdox ANSI Intl850".
When I view the record with a BDE application the accentuated text is correct.
If I view the record outside BDE, on SQL-Server Management Studio or a DBExpress application for example, the letters are letters are switched.

Example:
With BDE : OBSERVAÇÕES
||
With dbExpress: OBSERVAÃıES

Thanks,
Ronaldo.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 15 Nov 2012 10:52

BDE uses its own encoding-decoding algorithms. In your case, BDE stored the data to the server in its own format, that is not correct for SQL Server. You can avoid this problem only by decoding data on the server to the correct format, so all strings are displayed correctly in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. After this, you will be able to work with your data using any other components, including our dbExpress driver for SQL Server.
Also, you can check that dbExpress driver for SQL Server works correctly with SQL Server by inserting a new record. The new data will be displayed correctly in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.