Repeated access violations in dbexpsda.dll

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding usage of dbExpress drivers for SQL Server in Delphi and C++Builder
ez

Repeated access violations in dbexpsda.dll

Post by ez » Thu 14 Jun 2012 12:02

Hi,

Since a few days I encounter a recurring access violation error in dbexpsda.dll on a production server of a customer.
The address is 028B1E1D, 029F1E1D or 02A31E1D with error "Read of address xxxx". I don't know the base address because I do not have access to the environment, but it seems to be always the same instruction.
The dbexpsda.dll is version 4.45.0.18. The server is SQL Server 2008.
Can you tell me what the cause of these errors could be?

Thanks.

AndreyZ

Re: Repeated access violations in dbexpsda.dll

Post by AndreyZ » Thu 14 Jun 2012 13:46

Hello,

The Access Violation error can occur in many situations. Please check if the problem persists using the latest dbExpress driver for SQL Server version 5.0.3 . We fixed several bugs since version 4.45.0.18, so the Access Violation error you encountered can already be solved. If the problem persists, please specify the exact moment when Access Violation occurs: on dataset opening, on modifying data, on inserting data, etc.

ez

Post by ez » Fri 12 Oct 2012 10:16

Hi,

My customer made a lot of tests since my last post, and the error still occurs with the new driver (5.0.3.0).
The SQL server is 2005, and not 2008 as I said in my previous post.
I also made a lot of tests by my side with different servers and clients and could not reproduce this error.
It is still very unclear in which conditions the error occurs. After the error, sometimes the application will crash, sometimes it will continue running, but the SQL connection behaves as if it was disconnected and will always produce SQL errors.

The last test ended with a crash. Here are the informations given by the events log:
"faulting module dbexpsda.dll, version 5.0.3.0, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00006ad5"

What can I do to identify and solve the problem ?

Thanks for your answer.

AndreyZ

Post by AndreyZ » Fri 12 Oct 2012 10:50

You can try logging all your operations with the server. This can help you to determine what sequence of steps leads to occuring of the Access Violation error.
Unfortunately I cannot give you a more valid answer about this problem without a test project that demonstrates it. Please try creating such test project and send it to andreyz*devart*com . Also, please specify the exact version of your IDE.