Object Reference not Set...

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
alanf

Object Reference not Set...

Post by alanf » Wed 30 May 2007 19:46

I just purchased and downloaded OraNet400pro.exe for Delphi 2006. The version is for Net 1.1 as is 4.00.13 dated 3.5.07.

I can place an OracleConnect on a .Net form with no problem at all. I can set the various parameters and get a positive connection to the database; however, that is as far as I can go.

ANY OTHER ORACLE control I attempt to place gives me a:

Object Reference not set to an instance of object ERROR.

For instance putting down an OracleCommand control will not let me set a table, give a sql statement or anything with the above error. If I try a OracleDataSet, it refuses to run stating the Wizard cannot be started.

If I can't use this control, I really would like my money back. Hopefully it is something simple.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 31 May 2007 09:21

Unfortunately, I can't reproduce any problem.
I use Borland® Developer Studio for Microsoft® Windows™ Version 10.0.2151.25345.
What type of project do you create?

alanf

Post by alanf » Thu 31 May 2007 15:19

I have Delphi Developer Studio 2006 version 10.0.2558.35231 Update 2, Hotfixed.

I uninstalled your OraDeveloper and OraMonitor and now I can place controls and I don't get the error, so it appears there is some type of incompatiblility. Should I install these in some type or order?

Also, I still get an error when trying to run the OraDataSet Wizard.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 01 Jun 2007 13:36

Try to reproduce the same problems with my version of Delphi (without any update patches).

alanf

Post by alanf » Fri 01 Jun 2007 20:22

I'm sorry, not to be rude, but I'm not being paid to QC your problems.

Going back a few versions would be a real pain, not to mention the problems I would have with controls that require the updates. I just don't have the time to do this. You should go to the Delphi site and install the updates and see if you get the same problems. If you do, you have an issue that you need fixed. As far as .NET is concerned, I just installed the components that came with Delphi 2006, so I don't have any 3rd party .Net controls that might be causing the problem. (Other than the default component one controls.)

In any case, I have it running but the development is a pain. The CommandText often disappears. The Connection control sometimes won't show up as a connection for the other controls, as well as other issues. Nothing that can't be solved by deleting the control(s) and re-adding it/them. But it's a pain.

However, once I did get a stable build, the web site seems to be faster and more stable that using the Borland BDPOracle controls.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Mon 04 Jun 2007 07:28

We support Delphi 2006. We did not announce the support of any updates.
We are going to check this out carefully. But please be warned that we do not guarantee that the problems will be fixed/resolved in the meantime, so plan your development strategy accordingly.
What I suggest you is trying to reinstall OraDirect .NET completely.