Toolbox components not enables after install

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
sgibbens

Toolbox components not enables after install

Post by sgibbens » Mon 19 Mar 2007 16:16

I have searched the forum and found a few similar questions - but none have helped me yet, so I decided to do a new post...

Here is my issue: I am trying to write a website using Oracle packages as the datasource... I can write it all in the code behind, but I am trying to use components only - I couldn't figure out a way to make the components installed with the oracle stuff in .Net - so I saw this product OraDirect.net and decided to try it -

so I just downloaded it and the components don't show up in the toolbox. I have made sure they show up and are checked in the add items dialog for the toolbox, I even re-added the ora.oracle reference to my project - no luck...

Any ideas?

I am running VS 2005 and dowloaded OraDirect .NET 3.55 for .NET Framework 2.0

Thanks in advance for any help;
Shelly

sgibbens

never mind

Post by sgibbens » Mon 19 Mar 2007 16:23

Gee - I kept reading the posts - and it finally dawned on me that I was not actually using the view COMPONENTS designer... Sorry - I see them enabled now!

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 20 Mar 2007 07:11

Well done!
Also I suggest you reading the FAQ.

sgibbens

ok - new question...

Post by sgibbens » Tue 20 Mar 2007 14:27

I read through the FAQ for the oradirect.net and am not sure how to do this - I am going to try some more googling and see if I can figure it out - but maybe someone who reads this will know...

now that I finally have the components available - I put them on the component designer and added the properties and the connections worked and the commands and data adapter worked in the component view (brought back the data when tested) -

But how do I make the grid, text boxes, list boxes, whatever on the form bind to the data returned?? So far I have been unable to do this... my whole reason for wanting to use the components is to take advantage of the Insert, select, delete, update command functions to do autopostback... I feel like I am just missing something... any ideas???

Thanks,
Shelly

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Wed 21 Mar 2007 10:07

To configure a GridView for select/update/insert/delete you should:
  • Having a GridView on the page choose option in the DataSourceID property of this component in the Properties window.
  • In the "Choose a Data Source Type" window of appeared Data Source Configuration Wizard choose Database icon and press OK.
  • Press "New Connection..." button on the "Choose Your Data Connection" window.
  • On the "Add Connection" dialog press "Change..." button and then choose "OracleDatabase" option from the list, press OK.
  • Fill in all the fields as appropriate: Host=ora; User Id=scott; Password=tiger. Press OK.
  • Press Next on the "Choose Your Data Connection" window.
  • On the "Save the Connection String to the Application Configuration File" window make modifications you need and press Next.
  • On the "Configure the Select Statement" window choose "Specify columns from a table or view" radio button, choose needed database object from the list and check needed columns. Press "Advanced..." button. On the appeared dialog window tick "Generate Insert, Update, and Delete statement" checkbox and press OK. Press Next.
  • Press Finish on the "Test Query" window.
  • Check "Enable editing" checkbox for GridView component.
You are done. Now you are able to hit the Start Debugging arrow in Visual Studio and see your GridView filled with data from the database.
For more information about data binding see Web Forms Data Binding.

sgibbens

Post by sgibbens » Wed 21 Mar 2007 13:59

Thanks Alexey for the reply...

and that would work if I were retrieving data from the tables or a stored procedure... but I am trying to use the visual components to get the data from packages, and this is the problem... there is no option to select a package, only a stored procedure... (and I have even tried to put in the packagename.stored procedure in the query - this throws errors)

I have not been able to find a work around on this, the only thing I have found is that Microsoft backtracked on technology and took out this functionality in .net 2.0... so the only way to do this is to explicitly write it in code... I was just trying to use the visual components, and so far I am not seeing how it can be done with packages in the current framework...

Even with adding in the oradirect components, I can't use them to bind to the data components on the form (grid, list box, etc...) they aren't 'known' to the form... seems wierd to me - but I am at a loss at the moment... Sometimes I feel like I am just missing that last little step and other times I feel that it can't be done.... Can it???

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Thu 22 Mar 2007 06:58

We are working on implementing the possibility to choose stored procedures from packages when configuring table adapters. This feature is gonna work in the release version of OraDirect .NET 4.0. Please wait a bit.

sgibbens

Post by sgibbens » Thu 22 Mar 2007 16:30

ok - I will check back... it is not going to help for this project's build.. but I have 2 more that I have to hook directly to Oracle and not SQL Server - so they may be able to implement this...

I am assuming that you are also working on the ability for the data controls on the page to be able to directly see the components on the component designer??

Shelly

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 23 Mar 2007 07:19

I am assuming that you are also working on the ability for the data controls on the page to be able to directly see the components on the component designer??
What is your intention? Data controls only need a datasource to be bounded with.

sgibbens

Post by sgibbens » Fri 23 Mar 2007 13:44

Hey Alexey...

My intention is to be able to use Oracle and still have the same functionality that you get if you are using SQL Server... I wanted to clean up this application and have it easier for someone to take over without having to have a vast knowledge of code... so if, say the grid, is bound to a datasource and you are able to tie all the data from oracle to that (ie. select, insert, delete...) then that is easier to read - rather than sifting through the code behind - finding the functions, following the create of the connection, commands and datasets...

it is more of a make life easier thing... so for this project - I will create my own data class and use an object datasource...

If we didn't use packages in Oracle, it would be very simple to use the SQLDatasource - but since it has no concept of packages, you can't get to that level with this visual control...

Does that make sense?? sometimes I ramble - sorry...

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Mon 26 Mar 2007 06:29

As I mentioned, we are working on providing a solution for using Oracle packages with SqlDataSource component. Please wait a bit.

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Fri 06 Apr 2007 07:11

We have implemented this functionality.
Look forward to the release.

sgibbens

Post by sgibbens » Fri 06 Apr 2007 13:20

Good to Hear - I will look forward to checking it out!

Thanks!

Alexey

Post by Alexey » Tue 08 May 2007 07:55

Have you already check it out?

sgibbens

Post by sgibbens » Fri 11 May 2007 21:04

I have not had the opportunity to check it out yet – since I got the project I was working on done another way… However, I will be doing a web project with Oracle again in the fall and will try to check it out before I start on that!

Thanks!