How to ugrade from v9.7.770.0 to v9.16.1434.0

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
soko

How to ugrade from v9.7.770.0 to v9.16.1434.0

Post by soko » Thu 10 Mar 2022 09:46

Hello,

I've got the task to upgrade our Oracle in our big .NET/WPF application (100 projects).

Some of the projects/libraries are .NET Standard v2.0 and some are .NET Framwork v4.8 with Entity Framework v6.2.0.

In the past we just installed the new version of the setup, swapped the DLLs for the new ones and changed the version-numbers in our source. This worked so far...

And frankly... thats all I know about using DotConnect For Oracle. The original installation and integration in our application was done by a different developer who is not available anymore.
I've read the docs and looked at some example code... but couldn't find any info and the examples are 15 years old...

Anyhow... Now (with NuGet etc.) I'm running into big troubles here...

WORKING (OLD) VERSION:
As an example one project (out of 6 in total) uses the v9.7 DLLs like this in the csproj file:

Code: Select all

<Reference Include="Devart.Data, Version=5.0.2194.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
  <HintPath>..\..\Bin\Libraries\Devart.Data.dll</HintPath>
<Reference Include="Devart.Data.Oracle, Version=9.7.770.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
   <HintPath>..\..\Bin\Libraries\Devart.Data.Oracle.dll</HintPath>
<Reference Include="Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6, Version=9.7.770.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
   <HintPath>..\..\Bin\Libraries\Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6.dll</HintPath>
<Reference Include="Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.Spatials.EF6, Version=9.7.770.0, Culture=neutral, processorArchitecture=MSIL">
   <HintPath>..\..\Bin\Libraries\Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.Spatials.EF6.dll</HintPath>
In the app.config we use it like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 -->
    <section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
  <!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 --></configSections>
  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="TiConDbContext" connectionString="metadata=res://*/TiConModel.csdl|res://*/TiConModel.ssdl|res://*/TiConModel.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;data source=DS3;initial catalog=ticon;persist security info=True;user id=sa;password=Manager2008;multipleactiveresultsets=True;application name=EntityFramework&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
  </connectionStrings>
  <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.8" />
  </startup>
  <entityFramework>
    <defaultConnectionFactory type="System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.LocalDbConnectionFactory, EntityFramework">
      <parameters>
        <parameter value="v11.0" />
      </parameters>
    </defaultConnectionFactory>
    <providers>
      <provider invariantName="Devart.Data.Oracle" type="Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.OracleEntityProviderServices, Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6, Version=9.7.770.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
      <provider invariantName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer" />
    </providers>
  </entityFramework>
  <system.data>
	<DbProviderFactories>
		<remove invariant="Devart.Data.Oracle" />
		<add name="dotConnect for Oracle" invariant="Devart.Data.Oracle" description="Devart dotConnect for Oracle" type="Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleProviderFactory, Devart.Data.Oracle, Version=9.7.770.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
	</DbProviderFactories>
   </system.data>
</configuration>
Then we have a licenses.licx in the Properties of each project (dont know what this is for!). The content is:

Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection, Devart.Data.Oracle, Version=9.7.770.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701
As mentioned above: The usual upgrade project for us (i.e. when we upgraded 9.5 to 9.7) was to install the new DotConnetForOracle, swap to the new DLLs and change the version numbers in all files above... and it worked.

FAILING (NEW) VERSION:
Now I've downloaded and installed the newest (dcoracle916pro.exe) installer, used NuGet and installed this to packages to the projects (csproj):

<PackageReference Include="Devart.Data" Version="5.0.2858" />
		<PackageReference Include="Devart.Data.Oracle" Version="9.16.1434" />
app.config:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<configuration>
  <configSections>
    <!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 -->
    <section name="entityFramework" type="System.Data.Entity.Internal.ConfigFile.EntityFrameworkSection, EntityFramework, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" requirePermission="false" />
  <!-- For more information on Entity Framework configuration, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=237468 --></configSections>
  <connectionStrings>
    <add name="TiConDbContext" connectionString="metadata=res://*/TiConModel.csdl|res://*/TiConModel.ssdl|res://*/TiConModel.msl;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;data source=DS3;initial catalog=ticon;persist security info=True;user id=sa;password=Manager2008;multipleactiveresultsets=True;application name=EntityFramework&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient" />
  </connectionStrings>
  <startup>
    <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.8" />
  </startup>
  <entityFramework>
    <defaultConnectionFactory type="System.Data.Entity.Infrastructure.LocalDbConnectionFactory, EntityFramework">
      <parameters>
        <parameter value="v11.0" />
      </parameters>
    </defaultConnectionFactory>
    <providers>
        <provider invariantName="Devart.Data.Oracle" type="Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.OracleEntityProviderServices, Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6, Version=9.16.1434.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
        <provider invariantName="System.Data.SqlClient" type="System.Data.Entity.SqlServer.SqlProviderServices, EntityFramework.SqlServer" />
    </providers>
  </entityFramework>
    <system.data>
        <DbProviderFactories>
            <remove invariant="Devart.Data.Oracle" />
            <add name="dotConnect for Oracle" invariant="Devart.Data.Oracle" description="Devart dotConnect for Oracle" type="Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleProviderFactory, Devart.Data.Oracle, Version=9.16.1434.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701" />
        </DbProviderFactories>
    </system.data>
</configuration>
licenses.licx:

Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleConnection, Devart.Data.Oracle, Version=9.16.1434.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701
But when I start our application - even with no oracle connection - I get the following exception:

System.InvalidOperationException: The Entity Framework provider type
'Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.OracleEntityProviderServices, Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6, Version=9.16.1434.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701'
registered in the application config file for the ADO.NET provider with invariant name 'Devart.Data.Oracle'
 could not be loaded. Make sure that the assembly-qualified name is used and that the assembly is available to the running application.
Then I thought... OK... kinda obvious... I'm still missing
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6.dll
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.Spatials.EF6.dll

Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.Spatials.EF6.dll: This one I could not even find anymore anywhere. Is this included now in another package?

Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6.dll:
For this I've found the NuGet Package Devart.Data.Oracle.EF6... but it does not support .NET Standard v2.0! It also requires EF v6.4.4, which should be no problem to upgrade on our side.
But we cannot change to .NET v2.0. In addition we still need it in some .NET Framework v4.8 projects as well (which we cannot change either).

QUESTIONS
Is there even a way to get v9.16 running on a mixed .NETStandardv2.0/.NETFrameworkv4.8 application?
If no (which whould be my educated guess ;) ): Which one is the last version this would work and I find all 4 needed DLLs:
- Devart.Data.dll
- Devart.Data.Oracle.dll
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6.dll
- Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.Spatials.EF6.dll

Thanks heaps!
Soko

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: How to ugrade from v9.7.770.0 to v9.16.1434.0

Post by Shalex » Thu 28 Apr 2022 14:26

Please remove Devart NuGet packages from both .NET Standard 2.0 and .NET Framework 4.8 projects. Run installation of dotConnect for Oracle v9.16.1434 on your workstation, then add references to the following assemblies in your .NET Standard 2.0 and .NET Framework 4.8 projects:
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\Devart.Data.dll"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\Devart.Data.Oracle.dll"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\Entity\EF6\Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.EF6.dll"
  • "C:\Program Files (x86)\Devart\dotConnect\Oracle\Entity\EF6\Devart.Data.Oracle.Entity.Spatials.EF6.dll"