Cannot obtain Oracle Client information from registry

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
hepek

Cannot obtain Oracle Client information from registry

Post by hepek » Tue 11 Jan 2022 22:52

I have my apps running on windows server 2012 with no issues. I moved the apps to server 2016 and started receiving this error message while trying to connect to oracle:

Cannot obtain Oracle Client information from registry. Make sure that Oracle Client Software is installed and that the bitness of your application (x64) matches the bitness of your Oracle Client, or use the Direct mode of connecting to a server.

I am using dotConnect version 9.14.1382

here is how my connection string looks like:
$"Data Source={_dbInfo.DbName};User ID={_dbInfo.UserName};Password={_dbInfo.Password};";

I deploy an app as 64 bit and I am using a oracle client 32 bit. in IIS settings I have Enable 32-bit apps set to false.
the same configuration worked on 2012 server, but not on 2016 server.

please advise
thank you

DmitryGm
Devart Team

Re: Cannot obtain Oracle Client information from registry

Post by DmitryGm » Wed 12 Jan 2022 11:09

The error "Cannot obtain Oracle Client information from registry" means that you don’t have Oracle client installed or the bitness of your application doesn't match the bitness of your Oracle Client. Since the bitness of your application is x64 you should:

1.) Make sure that "Platform target" of your application has value "x64" (not "Any CPU")

2.) Install x64 Oracle client
https://www.oracle.com/database/technol ... loads.html

3.) Make sure that the path to this client in the path environment variable is the very first (if there are several clients). Or set ORACLE_HOME environment variable.

4.) Create the correct TNS for your ORACLE server in the file:
%ORACLE_HOME%\instantclient_19_10\network\admin\tnsnames.ora