Migrating ASP.Net Sites With No Source

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
geekcyclist

Migrating ASP.Net Sites With No Source

Post by geekcyclist » Thu 06 May 2021 20:47

I am trying to migrate two old ASP.Net sites from Windows Server 2008r2 to Windows 2012 or 2016. Unfortunately I do not have the source code for these sites.

When I move the existing code to the new servers I get the following error at runtime:
License not found. Please view "Licensing" topic in dotConnect for Oracle documentation for details or contact Devart technical support.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Devart.Data.Oracle.OracleException: License not found. Please view "Licensing" topic in dotConnect for Oracle documentation for details or contact Devart technical support.
Additional Details
  • Both projects currently work in place.
  • The two old projects are on two different old Win2k8 servers.
  • I don't see anything like a App_Licenses.dll or an licx on either server.
Any ideas how I can migrate these sites to a new sever given that I do not have the source code and cannot re-compile to add a new license as far as I can tell?

DmitryGm
Devart Team

Re: Migrating ASP.Net Sites With No Source

Post by DmitryGm » Fri 07 May 2021 14:39

It looks like the license information has not been properly added in the executables, but the licensed version of dotConnect for Oracle is installed on your first server, so the application is running on this server.

There is the only way: install the licensed version of dotConnect for Oracle on the second server.

geekcyclist

Post by geekcyclist » Fri 07 May 2021 17:50

Thanks for the reply.

Do you mean I would just need to get the same installer I would use for dotConnect on my local developer machine and install/license it on my web server?

Do you have installers available for past versions?

DmitryGm
Devart Team

Post by DmitryGm » Tue 11 May 2021 13:06

The best way would be to add License information to the application as it is described in our documentation:
https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... nsing.html

In this case the application works without an installed licensed version of dotConnect for Oracle.
However, since you don't have the source code, there is only one way: install the licensed version of dotConnect for Oracle on the server.

On the customer portal you can get all previous licensed versions of dotConnect for Oracle:
https://secure.devart.com/licenses