Licensing for .NET Standard with a .key file (and not in the connection string)

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Peterwenv

Licensing for .NET Standard with a .key file (and not in the connection string)

Post by Peterwenv » Thu 14 Jan 2021 00:06

I'm sure this has been asked before but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

My question is, can a purchased copy (for which we have an activation key) be licensed using a .key file, or can it be only licensed using the License Key parameter of the connection string?

The documentation for licensing .NET Standard libraries (https://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracl ... ndard.html) says both are possible:
The dotConnect for Oracle license key can be either specified at runtime, in the License Key connection string parameter, or placed as a file to the C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License\ folder.
In the Key Loading Priority section, it also says:
Keys, specified in the connection string has priority over the key files, placed to the C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License\ folder.
Indicating that again both are possible.

Can you please provide an example of how to use a .key file?

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Licensing for .NET Standard with a .key file (and not in the connection string)

Post by Shalex » Thu 14 Jan 2021 17:55

With the purchased version of dotConnect for Oracle, the License Key connection string parameter is the only way to provide the key.

The C:\ProgramData\Devart\dotConnect\License\ folder is used for the trial keys.

Peterwenv

Re: Licensing for .NET Standard with a .key file (and not in the connection string)

Post by Peterwenv » Thu 14 Jan 2021 21:36

Thanks for the clarification.

I assume this is the case for other dotConnect products as well, including for MySql?

Are there any plans to change this? The connection string parameter is difficult to work with for our situation, and would be much simpler to deploy a .key file onto the machine.

If it won't change, it'd be great to get the documentation updated to make it clear that key files are only used for trial keys.

Shalex
Site Admin

Post by Shalex » Fri 15 Jan 2021 20:55

Peterwenv wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 21:36I assume this is the case for other dotConnect products as well, including for MySql?
That is correct.
Peterwenv wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 21:36Are there any plans to change this? The connection string parameter is difficult to work with for our situation, and would be much simpler to deploy a .key file onto the machine.
No plans to change the current approach.

You don't need to specify your license key in every connection string. Once a connection with a valid License Key is successfully opened, there will be no further license check in a current application domain. So, you can load your license key from somewhere (from an embedded resource, etc.), open a test connection, and after this, your application can work with connection strings without License Key.
Peterwenv wrote: Thu 14 Jan 2021 21:36If it won't change, it'd be great to get the documentation updated to make it clear that key files are only used for trial keys.
Thank you for your suggestion. We will update the documentation.