Unicode problem

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
pguerra.ar

Unicode problem

Post by pguerra.ar » Tue 19 Aug 2014 13:51

Hello. I'm having problems getting unicode characters from the database. Some characters are retrieved correctly, but some others are not. For example, this character works fine 0x4E0D (I'm not including the actual character because the forum database doesn't seem to support it :roll: ), but this one doesn't work 0x29D98 and it gets replaced by four black diamond characters (the unicode replacement character). I suspect the problem happens with the so called "surrogate pairs" (characters with hex code 0x10000 and above). Any idea how I can fix this? By the way, the connection string has "unicode=true", and I'm using Devart.Data.Oracle.dll with version "8.4.201.0". Also this used to work in previous versions. Thanks.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Re: Unicode problem

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 20 Aug 2014 14:03

We have reproduced the issue. We will investigate it and post here about the results as soon as possible.

As a temporary workaround, you can use the Direct connection mode. In the Direct mode the correct character is inserted. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... tMode.html

pguerra.ar

Post by pguerra.ar » Thu 21 Aug 2014 19:28

Thanks for your fast reply. Unfortunately we are unable to use the Direct connection mode because we are using the Express version (unless you can provide us with a free license for finding the bug :D ). So any idea when we can expect a fix for this issue? Thanks.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 22 Aug 2014 14:39

We are studying this issue. When we fix it, we will post here about the fix and the release of the build containing the fix.

We will tell you about the results of studying the issue in the nearest future.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Wed 03 Sep 2014 12:31

We have fixed the bug with Unicode characters (surrogate pairs), which are not included to Basic Multilingual Plane when using the "Unicode=true" connection string parameter in the OCI mode. We will post here when the corresponding build of dotConnect for Oracle is available for download.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Thu 04 Sep 2014 14:16

New build of dotConnect for Oracle 8.4.239 is available for download!
It can be downloaded from http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/download.html (trial version) or from Registered Users' Area (for users with valid subscription only).
For more information, please refer to http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?t=30327

pguerra.ar

Post by pguerra.ar » Thu 04 Sep 2014 14:44

Great! I'll give it a try. Thanks.