Using dotConnect 5.7 with Oracle 12c?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
na95mwn

Using dotConnect 5.7 with Oracle 12c?

Post by na95mwn » Mon 03 Feb 2014 14:44

Hello!

I'm working with a huge project which has been in constant development since 2006 and we're running a little behind on the technical side. To put it mildly.

The organisation wants to upgrade to Oracle 12c. Can we still use dotConnect 5.7 or do we need to upgrade?

I noticed on the revision history page that support for 12c is added last year in version 8.0. But is this only support for _new_ stuff in Oracle or is it for everything? ie, can we run 5.7 against 12c as we currently do against Oracle 9i?

Also, if we do upgrade to dotConnect 8, or later, which .Net Framework do we need to use? Obviously we're on an old version of .Net Framework as well (v3.5) and upgrading will be very costly and time consuming...

I'm very thankful for any response on this.

Shalex
Site Admin

Re: Using dotConnect 5.7 with Oracle 12c?

Post by Shalex » Tue 04 Feb 2014 16:33

na95mwn wrote:I noticed on the revision history page that support for 12c is added last year in version 8.0. But is this only support for _new_ stuff in Oracle or is it for everything? ie, can we run 5.7 against 12c as we currently do against Oracle 9i?
We did not test dotConnect for Oracle 5.70 with Oracle server 12c, but you can try it.
Generally, we recommend using the latest version of dotConnect for Oracle. If you decide to upgrade, please check the "The behaviour is changed: [...]" entries at the dotConnect for Oracle revision history page to update your project correspondingly if needed: http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... story.html.
na95mwn wrote:Also, if we do upgrade to dotConnect 8, or later, which .Net Framework do we need to use?
Current version of dotConnect for Oracle supports .NET Framework of 2.0 and higher versions.