Class Library and Licensing

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
Sprockett

Class Library and Licensing

Post by Sprockett » Tue 05 Nov 2013 21:02

Didn't see a specific section for licensing so I'll pose my question here given its the product that I am using.

We are a software company with more then one commercial desktop application that sits on top of our enterprise database. We also write one off custom 'add-ins' for our commercial applications for clients. We also offer an SDK for our products so that clients can write applications to interface with our application and database.

We have internal class libraries used to abstract our data layer and support multiple db types like Access, Sql Server, Oracle, etc. We are considering using DevArt to replace the deprecated Microsoft Oracle Provider at this abstracted level in this class library. This class library will then be used by various other internal class libraries and exes. New exes created perhaps all the time. Indirectly, a client executable might be developing against our SDK as well.

From what I can tell, despite reading that DevArt has a developer license scheme with no royalties, licensing is somehow tied directly to an application or exe? Is there a licensing model for a developer of development components?

Sprockett

Re: Class Library and Licensing

Post by Sprockett » Wed 06 Nov 2013 18:36

No has comment?

The decision of which Oracle provider to continue with is holding up other development and I seem to have no way to contact DevArt besides support email and these forums. Both of which have not met with any response. Am I missing a support phone number?

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Thu 07 Nov 2013 10:36

We have a two business day response policy, but we do our best to process requests as soon as possible.

There are two aspects of dotConnect for Oracle licensing:
1. the Microsoft .NET Framework technical licensing;
2. the license for using dotConnect for Oracle.

1. All applications that use Devart assemblies should have valid license information. This is a specially formed embedded resource. It is checked when a connection is opened.
dotConnect for Oracle includes the License Wizard that helps you configure license information. To invoke the wizard choose Oracle | License Information from the Visual Studio Tools menu. Then click the Fix button in the dialog and follow the wizard's instructions.
For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... nsing.html

Class library licensing is a special case. In addition to the licenses.licx file, you need to create a licenses.config file and list the names of executable files that will work with the library. License Wizard eases adding the license resource to the class library as well. For more information, please refer to http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... g.html#lib
Our license validator looks for the valid license in the following way:
*.exe -> FirstCalledClassLibrary.dll -> ... -> LastCalledClassLibrary.dll.
The valid license for *.exe has to be available at any level of this chain: either built in *.exe (licenses.licx), or added to one of the used class libraries (licenses.licx + licenses.config with the name of *.exe).

2. Our product is licensed for developers (not for a workstation or a server). A licensed developer is entitled to install and use our product on one or more computers (any number of computers), provided that it is used by the licensed developer alone, for the sole purposes of developing, testing, and deploying applications in accordance with our EULA.
For more information, please refer tohttp://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle ... g-faq.html

There are three types of the developer license: Single, Team, and Site. The type of the developer license depends on the number of developers who will use the Devart product:
- Single License - one developer;
- Team License - four developers;
- Site License - unlimited number of developers within a single company at one physical address;
http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/ordering.html

Sprockett

Post by Sprockett » Thu 07 Nov 2013 15:00

Thanks for your response.

So just to be clear, a company selling a class library cannot license DevArt for use in that class library?

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Fri 08 Nov 2013 16:34

If you sell a class library that has a Direct reference to Devart assemblies, then end users have to purchase a Devart license to use your class library. Having this license, they can embed the license resource into their application and use your class library.

Sprockett

Post by Sprockett » Fri 08 Nov 2013 21:34

So I believe I understand the intent...and its unfortunate because we won't be able to utilize your controls as a result.

That said, I think your above statement does not seem completely accurate. If the class library I sell does not have a Direct reference to DevArt, rather just a reference to a another class library that has a reference to DevArt, the ultimate executable developed against the class library that I sell still needs to be licensed for use with DevArt.

Is this just an artifact or are you specifically intending to not allow this kind of use?

Thanks,

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Mon 11 Nov 2013 16:32

Sprockett wrote:Is this just an artifact or are you specifically intending to not allow this kind of use?
This is the designed behaviour. When you create class library you have to add the license resource with the license.config file. The license.config file should contain the names of all the executables that will use this class library. Since your users will choose the names for their executables themselves, they won't be able to use your class library.

However licensing a library without specifying the executables that will use it is possible by agreement with Devart.

Sprockett

Post by Sprockett » Mon 11 Nov 2013 18:11

Thanks for the reply.

"However licensing a library without specifying the executables that will use it is possible by agreement with Devart."

Who do I need to talk to and who do I contact them?

Thanks,

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Tue 12 Nov 2013 14:50

We have answered you via e-mail.