Incompatibilities between versions?

Discussion of open issues, suggestions and bugs regarding ADO.NET provider for Oracle
TheBeat

Incompatibilities between versions?

Post by TheBeat » Wed 10 Jul 2013 13:42

I did the following steps:
- Previous versions...
- Install dot Connect v72114 (dcoracle72114pro.exe) OK!
- Install dot Connect v 77226 (dcoracle77226pro.exe) OK!
- Unistall dot Connect v 77226 (dcoracle77226pro.exe) OK!
- Install dot Connect v72114 (dcoracle72114pro.exe) KO!

As I saw some incompatibilities between versions:

"Devart.Data assembly version 5.0.449.0 is found in Global Assembly Cache.
This product is compatible with Devart.Data.dll version 5.0.573.0."

I followed some guidelines I read here in the forum:

- uninstall Devart products;
- remove all Devart.* and policy.*.Devart.* files from the GAC;
- clear the Program Files\Devart\dotConnect , Program Files\Devart\EntityDeveloper and Program Files\Common Files\Devart folders;
- clear the bin folders of your applications;
- reinstall Devart products that you need.

I ran also a registry scanner (CCleaner) that deleted old references once I deleted all Devart folders.

Even doing it so (I ran gacutil /lr > dummy.txt and look after to any trace of Devart in the GAC, 0 results) and after rebooting the machine the installer keep saying the very same error:

"Devart.Data assembly version 5.0.449.0 is found in Global Assembly Cache.
This product is compatible with Devart.Data.dll version 5.0.573.0."

But definitively it does not exist on the GAC anymore.

If I run the installer disregarding the warning message it ends with some warning errors when trying to register some assemblies.

If I open VS2K12 I found the following message:

"The 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage' package did not load correctly.
This problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more info by examining the file \\\\\\ ActivityLog.xml
Continue to show this error message?"

If I look at that file i can find some entries with errors:

Code: Select all

<entry>
    <record>22</record>
    <time>2013/07/10 10:48:39.246</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>SetSite failed for package [Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage]</description>
    <guid>{7A24CFC5-F408-4574-8B07-078DFE413305}</guid>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.Design, Version=5.0.573.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</errorinfo>
  </entry>
  <entry>
    <record>23</record>
    <time>2013/07/10 10:48:39.249</time>
    <type>Error</type>
    <source>VisualStudio</source>
    <description>End package load [Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage]</description>
    <guid>{7A24CFC5-F408-4574-8B07-078DFE413305}</guid>
    <hr>80070002</hr>
    <errorinfo>Could not load file or assembly 'Devart.Data.Design, Version=5.0.573.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=09af7300eec23701' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.</errorinfo>
  </entry> 
Looking at Devart.Data.Design in the GAC is true that the Devart.Data.Design has not that Version, it has a newer version. But before installing there was no other Devart assembly there.

As a result of this, I have some mis-behaviors opening edmx files in VS2K12 as well as running some uTests.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated. May I missed some step?

TheBeat

Re: Incompatibilities between versions?

Post by TheBeat » Wed 10 Jul 2013 14:21

I found the answer to my installer issues in the last post of this thread:

http://forums.devart.com/viewtopic.php?t=21060

There was some hidden empty dirs under GAC\MSIL folder that make the installer unhappy.

Now, there were no problems installing nor registering installing dcoracle72114pro but, still opening VS2K12 I still have the error I specified before:

"The 'Devart.Data.Oracle.Vs.OracleDataProviderPackage' package did not load correctly.
This problem may have been caused by a configuration change or by the installation of another extension. You can get more info by examining the file \\\\\\ ActivityLog.xml
Continue to show this error message?"

Because incompatibility of Devart.Data.Design. I can see in the GAC:

- Devart.Data 5.0.573.0
- Devart.Data.Design 5.0.685.0 --> It expects vs 5.0.573.0

Any ideas?

TheBeat

Post by TheBeat » Wed 10 Jul 2013 14:42

I solved the problems installing the latest dot Connect version (dcoracle77226pro) but still I don't know why previous installers mismatched versions of Devart.Data.Design.

Pinturiccio
Devart Team

Post by Pinturiccio » Thu 11 Jul 2013 12:33

We are glad to hear that the issue is solved.
TheBeat wrote:still I don't know why previous installers mismatched versions of Devart.Data.Design.
We didn't manage to reproduce the issue connected with Devart.Data.Design. Probably, after several installations and uninstallations with warnings, the Devart.Data.Design assembly remained in your GAC, and after installing another version of the provider you got two assemblies in the GAC, which caused the issue.